Door families, Layered Walls, Join Geometry, Opening Cut, Void Extrusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door families, Layered Walls, Join Geometry, Opening Cut, Void Extrusion

Door families utilizing an Opening Cut element will punch a hole right through a wall.
    If you were to manually layer your walls such as placing a thin tiling wall against your stud wall and perform Join Geometry on them, then the wall Opening Cut will be automatically punched through the tile wall too. This is good.

Our Cavity Sliding door families to not use an Opening Cut element, but instead use a Void Extrusion.
    The width of the Void Extrusion is locked to the two faces on the wall at the door opening. In the project environment, it therefore does not cut through a joined tile wall (as this is outside the space of the host wall). I have modified the extrusion to add some distance either side of the wall and it now does cut through our joined tile wall. This is good.

Is there a better way?

I tried to add an Opening Cut element but the host wall would not accept it (no message given). Is there a trick to this please?

Thanking you in advance.

You have to make the Voids larger than the wall in the family editor.

EDIT: Didnt read far enough. Sounds like you already got it working. No, there isnt a better way, hehe.
    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

For our pocket sliders, we nest the void for the cavity and still use the opening cut to cut the walls
      Alex Page
      RevitWorks Ltd
      Check out our Door Factory, the door maker add-in for Revit

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Page View Post
        For our pocket sliders, we nest the void for the cavity and still use the opening cut to cut the walls
        My aim was to modify the family to add an Opening Cut for the opening and use the void just for the pocket portion. But I could not add the Opening Cut element to may family. Your method indicates to me that we can't add it.

Does your nested element contain the void extrusion only?
        Is it a freestanding (not wall hosted) Door object?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Correct - you cant have an opening cut and a void in the same door family.
          To get around this, we have a void only wall based door (which cuts the wall) for the "cavity" cut which we nest into the pocket slider which has the Opening cut in it.
          Alex Page
          RevitWorks Ltd
          Check out our Door Factory, the door maker add-in for Revit

Comment