parametric arched lintel difficulties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

parametric arched lintel difficulties

Hello everyone. This is my first post. I'll get straight to it. I have 2 issues trying to create the following family. I'm trying to create a parametric arched lintel family made of soldier bricks. I want to be able to control the radius of the arch without the whole arch moving or getting wider. My first idea was to create a wall based family made from a void sweep the shape that I want and subsequently filled by a solid sweep the shape that I want. I created a start/end arch for the path of the sweep but I'm currently unable to control the radius of the arch without the arch moving up or down or getting wider. I create 2 vert ref planes and one horizontal ref plane and lock then ends of the arch to there intersection. (see image below) When I move the vert ref planes or the horizontal ref planes the arch flexes as it should but if I try to change the radius it breaks. I get that. I tried creating it using a spline instead. I snap the top center point of the spline to the intersection of a hor and vert ref plane but I can't constrain this point. Another option I haven't tried yet is an adaptive component family but if I'm correct I cannot nest this into a generic model family and assign a category to it. My final problem is creating the soldier course pattern that follows the trajectory of the swept form. Any thoughts, solutions, ideas would be great.

PS. This is a repeated schedulable component on a building.

Thanks,

Jordan

Welcome Jordan, glad to have you here. This is gona be a good thread. Would you be able to post some screen shots or maybe the family you are working on. This will help people a lot with assisting you with your problem.

Thanks
    -Alex Cunningham

Comment

I've tried the adaptive component route and it seems to be the best way to model the thing. Not sure how to schedule it and apply materials and stuff.

Comment

Here's a screenshot of the a generic family i started. I said it was a wall based family but this is just for demonstration.
        Attached Files

Comment

So you notice when I flex the radial paramter it moves vertically and gets wider. The other option is to constrain the end points of the ref arc to the intersection of the ref planes and control it that way but then I can't modify the radius. Can't have cake and eat it too.
          Attached Files

Comment

Here's the adaptive component version and it is definitely the most flexible.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Jordan, and welcome to the forum.

The trick here is to use ref. lines, instead of ref. planes (Or ref. planes AND some very complicated math, which I won´t go into at this hour)
              Please refer to the attached example. :beer:
              Attached Files
              Klaus Munkholm
              "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Comment

Instead of trying to control the radius of the arc, control the rise from the base (Y), and the chord (X) with parameters. The intrados arc can be made with 2 arcs of start-end-radius, locked to simple intersections of reference planes. The extrados arc can be just a locked offset of the inner arc, with a fixed dimension. Or if you prefer, you can control that dimension with a parameter as well. The family could be a "Specialty Equipment" (a category that you can schedule), which you can start from the wall-based template. If you also need to schedule the dimensions of this lintel, then these parameters need to be shared.
                Attached Files
                Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

Comment

Thanks fellas. I haven't had a chance to sit down and run through it but I think I understand what your saying. There is still the problem of making the soldier pattern be perpendicular to the arc. I had the thought of creating an arched divided surface inside a mass family with panels that represent actual bricks but that seemed a little over the top. Thanks for the help.

Comment