Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advanced Revit Family issue. Please help Revit gurus out there...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advanced Revit Family issue. Please help Revit gurus out there...

Hi All,

I am facing a challenging question on how to make a sky light pyramid shape (triangles at all 4 sides and one side is 90 angle with the roof). Couple of issues I am facing when using roof based generic model family:

+The void only create opening of the roof when load in to the project but I want it also to cut / create opening of the ceiling which is 6 feet below the roof level. Can I do it with roof based family ?

+what is the easiest way to make the pyramid shape (triangles at all 4 sides and one side is 90 angle with the roof) ? I tried to make it with one solid and couple of voids but its really hard to control the void with some parameters(including some formula for my angle : atan(height/width))...

+ I am thinking also using conceptual mass to build and create some thickness for the pyramid using pattern based. My issue then the mass wont cut the roof and ceiling so everytime i change my parameter( height and width) to get my new shape , I have to update my openings in the roof and the ceilings...lots of work...what the best way to then if I want to go this road ?

Thanks so much....
    Ngoc Nguyen at Parallel
    [email protected]

-for the first issue:
    Your skylight can be a generic model face based family(you have to test with your existing roof based and see if it works too). Uncut you existing void. Transform your void in a solid. Put a visibility parameter on it. Make sure is checked. Reload the family. Place on the roof the family. Select Join command and (in this order) that solid than the roof, than that solid than the ceiling. After that go to the visibility parameter of your solid and turn it off.

One more thing: if the rest of your geometry is built directly in your face based(roof based) family, this geometry will also cut the roof and the ceiling if they are in the same space, but because this geometry is still visible you will see nice intersection lines with the roof and ceiling. But i suppose your ex void(actual solid) is bigger so you will not see this additional cuts. If you want this additional geometry to not cut, you have to make it as a shared generic model and then nested in the face based (roof based) family.

-for second issue
    i don`t know how you constructed your pyramid but i think is doable. The easy way i see is to use the blend tool. One solid blend (the top of the blend (pyramid) can be a very small triangle..almost like a point) and an inner void blend that cut the first blend.
    Last edited by gaby424; August 13, 2011, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Thanks Gaby242. Will try it as soon as. Yes I can use blend but i dont want the top piramid to be a very small triangle. I want to make it a point (even though some one may argue that you will make a cap in real life but we are in design now...). So what I did is a solid cube (parametric) and smaller void cube for the thickness and 2 blend voids to get the shapes. Another tricky issue is i want to assign different materials ( glass and solid) to the pyramid so I will have to split face and use paint material tools...It didnt work well with flex parameters.

So How can i split materials once I have the pyramid worked out ? (and make sure the parameters /flex of the pyramid still works...)

Thanks.
      Ngoc Nguyen at Parallel
      [email protected]

Comment

Can you post an image of the desired end result?

Edit: And is it going onto a flat roof? (Not sure I understand your specific needs)
        Last edited by Munkholm; August 13, 2011, 05:00 PM. Reason: Edt:
        Klaus Munkholm
        "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Comment

Thanks.

Please see the family attached. I would like to do 2 things:
          +make the top blend to a point
          +split materials ( glass from upper level up and solid from upper level donw)

Thanks again eveyrone...
          Attached Files
          Ngoc Nguyen at Parallel
          [email protected]

Comment

Not supposed to be any mullions?
            Klaus Munkholm

Comment

Not yet....will be....Can you help with the first 2 questions ? )))
              Ngoc Nguyen at Parallel
              [email protected]

Comment

Well, yes... but you should build it "right" from the beginning instead.

But to answer your questions.
                1. Can´t do that with a sweep, instead create a solid squared block, and use 3 void extrusions to "carve" the block into a pyramid shape.
                2. Use "split face", and "paint"
                To build it "right" - Create each sheet of glass as their own families, same with the mullions, and nest those into the final pyramid family.
                Best piece of Revit advice I´ve ever had: Create it in Revit the same way it´s build in the real world
                Klaus Munkholm

Comment

Thanks Munkholm. You know and I know that Revit is great but sometime I need to figure something quickly so I dont have time to think " same way its build in the real world"...Thats I think Revit need to change somehow to make the mass ( easy to build) to an revit object (Not floor by face and wall by face I know that..., but convert the mass geometry to an "solid gemeric model object"...

Anyway, thanks I already tried what you suggested. The first one is ok. The plitface and paint wont work for slope faces...

Can you try ?
                  Ngoc Nguyen at Parallel
                  [email protected]

Comment