Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Material Tag + different thickness

Hello,
    I am writting with 1 small problem, I added file with screen to explain this better.

I was looking at other posts with material tags and everyone are adding Model or Description to write name and thickness of the tagged material.
    I have non typical problem because in our project we need to add a lot fo thicknesses for different the same material concrete etc.

In this case to fallow rule with Model and Description I need to add a lot of Materials to get final text with the different thicknesses. Is there any way to add to TAG option for automatic measuring for thickness of tagging material?

It would save many days and save place in project to not create mess.

Michal
    Attached Files

I don't believe that can be done, but if you make a small scale Plan or Section view of the wall you will be able to dimension the layers. I realize it is not an answer to the question you asked, but it may be your best course of action.

Comment

Is there any addon to Revit which can solve this?

Comment

Early (pre-CD) = Use dims.

Later (post-DD) = 20 types of concrete = 20 materials = 20 slab/wall/foundation/column type variants.

No two ways about it*.

*otherwise, by that rational you are openly inviting "other" disciplines to "skirt" embodying their model with the design(ed) complexity of the building - which, (if/when you think about it) would mean architects could "just" model (with) one floor finish (where there might be many) and likewise, use the same (wall) lining type everywhere (with no care toward apperance, or more importantly, performance). This (typically, in my experience) wouldn't be tolerated, so why the let up elsewhere (in this case, structure)?

EDIT
        Welcome BTW! :thumbsup:
        Last edited by snowyweston; July 27, 2016, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by snowyweston View Post
          Early (pre-CD) = Use dims.

Later (post-DD) = 20 types of concrete = 20 materials = 20 slab/wall/foundation/column type variants.

No two ways about it*.

*otherwise, by that rational you are openly inviting "other" disciplines to "skirt" embodying their model with the design(ed) complexity of the building - which, (if/when you think about it) would mean architects could "just" model (with) one floor finish (where there might be many) and likewise, use the same (wall) lining type everywhere (with no care toward apperance, or more importantly, performance). This (typically, in my experience) wouldn't be tolerated, so why the let up elsewhere (in this case, structure)?

EDIT
          Welcome BTW! :thumbsup:

Problem is when you will duplicate material then use material in different walls, slabs etc you will have dirty section. It will not join, it is enought to just duplicate the same setting and make other name, then in the section thy will not join. This is a big problem. Sounds very easy to do, but in the next step there is again mess.

Comment

Originally posted by mrogucki View Post
            Problem is when you will duplicate material then use material in different walls, slabs etc you will have dirty section. It will not join, it is enought to just duplicate the same setting and make other name, then in the section thy will not join. This is a big problem. Sounds very easy to do, but in the next step there is again mess.
            Theeeeeeen don't do use it. I, for one, don't want a different material for every thickness variation of everything I might have in the model... but then I'm not doing area take offs of 5/8" vs 1/2" or whatever. If I needed to I would most likely use element schedules and infer the area of materials from that.
            Greg McDowell Jr
            about.me/GMcDowellJr

Comment

Originally posted by mrogucki View Post
              Problem is when you will duplicate material then use material in different walls, slabs etc you will have dirty section. It will not join
              For me, actually seeing the line-split (between materials) is more important than a seamless drawing - but I appreciate we all differ on such things.

Originally posted by GMcDowellJr View Post
              If I needed to I would most likely use element schedules and infer the area of materials from that.
              Well yes there is that approach also; a "universal generic concrete" (applied to all things concrete) with the volume then derived from the element itself, not the material. Then you could still handle your various grades of concrete with different types, i.e. "Column_C20", "Column_C40" etc... which in itself would then better enable related (take-off) workflows.

Of course, doing both (types and materials) would be the surest way.

Comment