Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom Section Head with Variables

Hello all,

This is my first post here and I appreciate any and all help you might be able to give me in advance.

I've been charted with the task of building a custom section head family that seems to be a bit tricky. Was hoping you fine folks could give me some insight as to how I can approach this.

My company deals with projects that use sheet numbers that are client-driven, so they are almost always too long to fit into the section head. Sometimes we can have drawing numbers that are ten-to-fifteen characters long. In our CAD world, we have a dynamic block set up with variable options for how the text is placed, which basically rides to the right or to the left of the section head, attached with a leader line with a closed dot. See the screen shot for what I'm talking about.

Our old Revit manager set these up in a very complex fashion, and they were very buggy. Basically, you'd cut a section, then change the section head family to what direction you wanted, then go within that section head and change it to the text orientation you wanted. What ended up happening was that on one sheet, the section head and text orientation would be correct, but on another sheet or in a layout view, the section head would be right but the text would be in a different orientation. It's a mess and I'm sure this family he created was a Type, rather than an Instance.

I'm looking for a way that I can:

1. Incorporate all these visibility options into a single family, that would be adjustable for each section cut. Something similar to this would be like we have with the elevation view bubbles in the layout views with the check marks for direction we want to look in elevation view. If that's not possible, then I'd be fine with creating a visibility parameter pull down on the section head that will allow me to set my text justification to the right or left.

2. I need to get closed dot and the leader line to lock into place at the same place in the section head when it's cut in the plan vertically. I don't know how to "lock" the annotation objects (circle, filled region, and the leader line) in the section head family to rotate with the head when it's placed vertically. I have tried creating a detail group and locking it to the horizontal white line in the section head filled family, but it continues to rotate the dot and the leaders with the section as it goes vertical.

Thanks for your help in advance.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Justso; February 11, 2016, 05:19 PM.

At a minimum you'll need 2 types I think, one for each side the label is on. Other than that it "should" be doable...
    Greg McDowell Jr
    about.me/GMcDowellJr

Comment

Hi Greg,

Maybe this screen attachment will better clarify.

I have tried creating a detail group and locking them to reference lines, but the dot still rotates with the section head. I just don't know if there's anyway to lock the dot and the two leader lines in place within the revit section head family. If I have to create two separate ones, I will, but I'm trying to see if there's a simple way to do this.

I'm trying to figure out how to get my visibility parameter to allow me to toggle right & left within the family itself when inserted into a project.

Thank you for your help.
      Attached Files

Comment

You should be able to get the line and dot to stay readable. You may need to nest them into the family. Can you upload your progress?

You will definitely need two separate types (not families though) and you will need to manually choose which one to use before/during/after placement.
        Greg McDowell Jr
        about.me/GMcDowellJr

Comment

Greg,

Sure. Here is the attached test head I'm working on. Right now, I was able to specify the leader lines to rotate with component, so they stay fixed. But the dot for the leader line refuses to stay locked in one area. It's driving me insane and I have exhausted just about everything I know and can research to figure it out.

If I can get the dot to stay fixed, then I think all I have left to work on is figuring out the visibility parameters to where I have the option to, as you said, manually choose during or after placement.

I appreciate your help very much.
          Attached Files

Comment

Section heads can be tricky. In this case, I'd use text and find a dot/asterisk/whatever I could live with.
            Attached Files
            Greg McDowell Jr
            about.me/GMcDowellJr

Comment

Greg,

Thanks for the reply. I'll open the .rfa as soon as I get to the office in the morning.

I'll try to snag a dot using Arial's character map.

I really appreciate your help.

Cheers

Comment

No problem... and welcome to the forum!
                Greg McDowell Jr
                about.me/GMcDowellJr

Comment

Hi Greg,

That worked a charm. I would have never thought to use a text character for the dot. :crazy:

The only thing I have left to try and figure out is the visibility parameters. I watched this video, which seems to be very good, and followed the steps in creating my subcategories in the section head family I sent to you. But when I bring that section head into the project, I do not get any visibility parameter controls either in the properties browser, nor in the family pull down. The way the video makes it look, I should have a control toggle somewhere for "sheet reference right" and "sheet reference left" categories. Unless I am misunderstanding things, I do not see why this should not work. I am assuming that these two parameters that I have created should be instance parameters and not type parameters so that I can duplicate them for the orientation I want and set them accordingly.

Hopefully I'm making sense. I'm attaching my family and hopefully, you can see how I have the visibility parameters set up. I'm still tinkering right now trying to figure out why the visibility control options I've set are not showing up when I import it into the project.

Thanks for the welcome, I will be using this forum extensively. You have proven to be an awesome ambassador for rookies on here like myself.

Have a great day.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Justso; February 12, 2016, 01:34 PM.

Comment

The file I sent had the visibility set as I think you want. You will need to make 2 section types and 2 section Tags with each of these pointing to their respective section head family types. Assign each of the tags to the correct section types and you're set. You'll need to pick which section to use/display as you go and it's universal meaning that once a section shows left it shows left in every view... probably not what you want but that's what you get.
                    Greg McDowell Jr
                    about.me/GMcDowellJr

Comment