Family placing error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Family placing error

Did not make any big famillies so far. Got error when im placing that family. Its really not too important family so i dont have to have parameters.. Tell me where i can solution for this errors, and what are they? ;>
    EDITED: sorry for posting in Revit Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bangobeat; July 25, 2011, 07:25 AM.

You need to go into the family to see what's breaking it.

Comment

How to see it? Like joining extrusions? or unlocking dimensions?
      There is only extrusions and voids.. some locked dimensions.

Comment

It seems to be the change in wall thickness that breaks the family. You need to address this issue every time you make a family that is hosted. This can be accomplished either by carefully locking and constraining geometry to Ref. planes locked to follow changing wall thickness, or the preferred way, of using unhosted nested families, and build the separate components like Frame, Leaf and so forth in each family and then completing the assembly in the Door family.

Hope this helps, you should check out the door in the download section, it is modeled after the last principle..

Comment

Lots of issues with this family, but you have to start somewhere and learn by your mistakes.
          Important lesson, the error messages are giving you a clue, the I.D numbers of the elements giving you the problems. Work your way through the error numbers by inputing the numbers into Manage/Select by ID Number to see what element or dimension giving you grief.
          Your main problem (apart from this is a really bad way to build this family) is in the doorhead extrusion.I would start there and work your way out.

Like KimArndt said maybe checkout the door family and reverse engineer it to understand better how to build families and look for and work your way through some tutorials.
          Attached Files
          Mark Balsom

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Comment

Originally posted by mark b View Post
            Important lesson, the error messages are giving you a clue, the I.D numbers of the elements giving you the problems. Work your way through the error numbers by inputing the numbers into Manage/Select by ID Number to see what element or dimension giving you grief.
            Thanks Kim and Mark i will work on it and i will follow some steps according to tutorial videos to expand my family skills.

Comment

RIght, there are a few things not going well here. In general:
              1. Work with nested components. Build the parts as needed (frame, panels, etc)
              2. Use more refplanes. How much and where to place them? Try this "rule of thumb": Open a blank project, place a curtain wall and create the desired layout. Look at all the gridlines you need and use these as a minimum for your family.
              3. More parameters please... I'm not advocating you need to fill your families up with usesless parameters, but just those three might be a little short in managing the family.

Have fun!

Try to reverse engineer the door from RFO as already suggested. And please post any questions or remarks. There is a thread dedicated to this family.
              Martijn de Riet
              Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
              MdR Advies
              Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment