Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wishlist - Right-click on named reference plane, set as work plane.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wishlist - Right-click on named reference plane, set as work plane.

I think this would be a huge time saver, and fairly easily to implement, no?
    Ryan Taube
    BIM Manager - Clayco Construction | Lamar Johnson Collaborative

Originally posted by ryntau View Post
    I think this would be a huge time saver, and fairly easily to implement, no?
    maybe I'm being dense on this Fri afternoon but isn't it normal to need a RP plane to be a work plane when you are in a perpendicular view. So, in that case there would be no RP to click on?? And work planes are view specific so setting it in the view that the RP is in doesn't do you any good anywhere else
    I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

Comment

I don't understand the wish, either.
      Edit: Unless it is something like this: > select reference plane > right click > "assign object to reference plane" > select a work-plane family. Result, the selected family moves to that reference plane.
      Alfredo Medina
      Forum Co-Founder
      Last edited by Alfredo Medina; August 22, 2015, 03:11 PM.
      Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

Comment

yup, my bad.. the title was misleading. In a 3D, there would be no planes to select and rename. i had a plan view and 3D view up concurrently on screen. I was making a family with 150+ extrusions each on a different plane. It was a long process where each extrusion required setting the plane, choosing from a drop down of all my named planes, i'm wondering if there could be an easier way. so if i could set the plane as the work plane in plan view, then draw in 3D (or elevation), that would have been awesome. might not work for everyone's needs it sounds like
        Ryan Taube
        BIM Manager - Clayco Construction | Lamar Johnson Collaborative

Comment

Why not use the pick plane option instead of the drop down? I hate scrolling through all those named planes.

Edit: Alternatively you could right click and use the "Repeat Command" or "Recent Commands" options.
          Attached Files
          cpercer
          Last edited by cpercer; August 24, 2015, 10:41 PM.

Comment

I think this functionality as a UX improvement is a novel idea.

In order to use the "Pick Plane" command you still have to take just as many steps as calling the name of a plane.

That looks like this:

Change workplane command
            Locate dropdown menu
            Select pick plane from menu
            Click OK
            Then Click plane.

This is too long. This could be quicker. It would be nice if you could right click, or hotkey click a ref line or plane and it would set that to your workplane and immediately prompt you to change view if necessary.

M

Comment

Yes, it is a good idea and would be much faster than either of the current options. However, in response to the OP wishlist item, the pick plane method is leaps and bounds faster than finding a named plane in a list of 150+ RP's.

Comment