Mass in a generic model family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mass in a generic model family

I created a generic model family to 'act' as a residential dwelling unit. I created a mass in this family. The family has formulas to create the shape of the family and parameters so I can track it (area, type, etc.) in a generic model schedule. When I place the family (its a generic model) in the project the mass shows up solid and does not act like a mass. Isn't filtered out via visibility/graphics when mass is turned off.

Is a mass only a mass in a mass family???

I know that I can add a parameter to what was the mass shape to control the visibility of this object in the generic model family but I just wonder if I'm missing something?

I haven't used masses much...

(using Revit Architecture 2013)
    Last edited by tidalwave1; May 22, 2014, 07:24 PM. Reason: added version of Revit
    Travis Vaughan, AIA, NCARB, LEED AP
    LinkedIn Profile | Twitter: @TravisUsesRevit

Originally posted by tidalwave1 View Post
    I created a generic model family .... I created a mass in this family. ...
    How could you create a mass in the generic model family? "mass" is a category, and "generic model" is another category. Even if you make a "mass" family, and try to load it into a "generic model" family, Revit won't allow you to do that.

Maybe you are calling "mass" to a simple extrusion? That is not a mass, but a solid. If you want a true mass that is flexible and can be used for pre-design, schedules, mass floors, perimeters, etc., there are two ways: a) in place mass, or b) new family with the mass.rfa template.
    Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

Comment

Okay, that makes sense. I guess that I always equated extrusions with masses. Don't know why but...
      Travis Vaughan, AIA, NCARB, LEED AP
      LinkedIn Profile | Twitter: @TravisUsesRevit

Comment

As Alfredo mentioned, I would suggest using the conceptual mass file (mass.rvt) as the base file to start from.

C:/ProgramData/Autodesk/RAC 2013/Family Template/English

If you are looking for inspiration, I suggest looking into Zach Kron's work.
        RB Cameron, AIA, LEED AP, EDAC, NCARB
        Architect - Parametric Designer - Visualization Instructor
        Download Healthcare Revit Models
        Download Revit+3dsMax Models

Comment