Wall Ladder Family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wall Ladder Family

I am trying to make a ladder family to where when i insert the ladder into my drawing i want to be able to adjust the height and in doing so it will either add or subtract the amount of rungs on the ladder depending on the height. is this possible? if so how?

You will need a couple parameters and an array for the rungs but it's possible. The same principle applies to line-based detail components with repeating elements (brick veneer for instance)

Height = 10
    Rung Spacing = 1
    Array = Height / Rung Spacing

I've attached a quick dummy file that you can dissect for the basics.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by cellophane; March 13, 2014, 06:15 PM.
    Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
    BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Comment

ok how do i do that?

what does the 10 represent?

the 1?

etc.

my space between the rungs would be 12"

Originally posted by cellophane View Post
      You will need a couple parameters and an array for the rungs but it's possible. The same principle applies to line-based detail components with repeating elements (brick veneer for instance)

Height = 10
      Rung Spacing = 1
      Array = Height / Rung Spacing

Comment

I did mine exactly how Chad described. In his example:

10 is 10' (total length of ladder)
        1 is 1' (distance between rungs)
        you'll need to add an array, then use the array formula Chad posted to get it to work. However:

If your ladder isn't an even length, then your rungs won't work out if they have to be 12" spacing. I think the code is 12" max spacing. So, what I did was to do an array using the "last" option (rather than the "2nd" option). This keeps the first and last rungs set. Now, the array formula puts in the correct amount and adjusts the spacing accordingly.

For example, I just modeled a ladder that is 8'-8" tall, and the rung spacing dropped to 11.5".
        Dan

Comment

how do i set it up if the height is undetermined. i dont want the ladder to have a set height when i insert it because i dont want to have to make a different ladder for each height since my drawing has different lenght ladders.

Originally posted by dzatto View Post
          I did mine exactly how Chad described. In his example:

10 is 10' (total length of ladder)
          1 is 1' (distance between rungs)
          you'll need to add an array, then use the array formula Chad posted to get it to work. However:

If your ladder isn't an even length, then your rungs won't work out if they have to be 12" spacing. I think the code is 12" max spacing. So, what I did was to do an array using the "last" option (rather than the "2nd" option). This keeps the first and last rungs set. Now, the array formula puts in the correct amount and adjusts the spacing accordingly.

For example, I just modeled a ladder that is 8'-8" tall, and the rung spacing dropped to 11.5".

Comment

I do not understand any of this. How do i set this up?

Originally posted by salvagni View Post
            how do i set it up if the height is undetermined. i dont want the ladder to have a set height when i insert it because i dont want to have to make a different ladder for each height since my drawing has different lenght ladders.

Comment

Make the length of the ladder an instance parameter, then you can change it for each ladder in each project. You have to pick a default height, which the ladder will be when you first add it to the project.
              Julie Kidder
              Architect + BIM Director
              Hartman + Majewski Design Group

Comment

I am new to revit. I do not know how to do an instance parameter or for that matter do what user cellophane has suggested bc i do not know where to put that information in.

Originally posted by jmk View Post
                Make the length of the ladder an instance parameter, then you can change it for each ladder in each project. You have to pick a default height, which the ladder will be when you first add it to the project.

Comment

I would recommend spending some time learning how the family editor works. The Live Archive sessions are a good starting point: Live Sessions - Archive
                  Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
                  BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Comment

See the video to creat the ladder https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5MyzijIuco

Comment