Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange flexing behaviour on downloaded window family

Hey,

I'm in the process of creating some windows and I downloaded a window family from a manufacturer just to compare how their windows were made up. I've noticed the strangest behaviour when flexing its width that I'd love to add to my own files but I can't figure out how its been achieved (brainfart?). Note the 3No. sheets of glass, they have no ref. planes at their left/right edges yet whenever you change the desired width parameter the glass keeps the correct dimensional relationship to the frame sweep. It seems like some hidden constraint is active yet I seem unable to replicate it. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks
    Attached Files

It appears to be the result of soft constraints. If you place the reference planes and dimension parameters first, normally extrusions/sweep paths/linework will keep the same dimension to the reference planes as you adjust the dimension parameters.
    Developer at Anguleris BIMsmith Marketplace.
    Previously at Sumex Design for ARCAT.com

Comment

Probably they’ve created glass extrusion picking ref planes with an offset (pick lines option).

Comment

Originally posted by PijPiwo View Post
        Probably they’ve created glass extrusion picking ref planes with an offset (pick lines option).
        I would agree with PijPiwo. If you edit the sketch of the extrusion of one of the glass panes and then turn on "Automatic Sketch Dimensions" in the Visibility Graphics window for that Elevation view, you will see the dimensions that constrain the edges of the extrusion to the various reference planes. Personally I don't like burying constraints in a family this way. I like making things more obvious so that when you (or another person in the office) comes back to it six months from now to make revisions to the family it's easier to remember (or for someone else to realize) what you were thinking.
        Last edited by bwbass; March 13, 2014, 02:56 PM.
        Using Revit to manage the nuts and bolts of architecture

Comment

This type of work can be seen in jermy Roh's video in BIMetods spring 14 classes on You Tube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BarCjMIbt5M
          Last edited by lallanji; March 13, 2014, 05:03 PM.

Comment