Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Formula driven Family Type Parameter

Hello all,

I am trying to set up a simple Family Type parameter that is driven by an IF statement. For example:

Type Selector = if(Width > 4'-0", Type A, Type B)

I have the Type Selector parameter correctly associated to the family, but every time I enter the formula I get the 'Type A is not a valid family parameter' error. It seems to me that it should be looking for a value and not a family parameter... can anyone help here? What do I need to enter into the 'result if true' and 'result if false' portions of my IF statement to get this to work?

Unfortunately there isn't a simple way to do that with Family Type parameters - see this thread.
    Julie Kidder
    Architect + BIM Director
    Hartman + Majewski Design Group

Comment

Is this a text result you're after? Put quotes around the text: "Type A"

Sent from my Windows Phone
      `Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for'
      Socrates

Comment

Phil-osophy in BIM: Randomize Color and Material in Revit

I have a blog post that is similar to what you are trying to do with type selector, see the post and you can download the family at the end of post to reverse engineering.
        Philip Chan
        Practice Technology Manager | HKS
        http://phil-osophyinbim.blogspot.com/

Comment

It worked! Actually just the first image of that blog post explained it. I did not understand that I needed to make a Family Type parameter for each type that I was selecting from and then a master family type parameter to select from the others. Now there's nothing standing in my path to world domination.

Comment

Great! Glad to hear it worked out
            Philip Chan
            Practice Technology Manager | HKS
            http://phil-osophyinbim.blogspot.com/

Comment