Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any exemplary manufacturer-produced lighting families?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any exemplary manufacturer-produced lighting families?

Hello everyone,

I've recently been asked to create a number of lighting families for a lighting manufacturer.

I haven't had too much experience in building lighting families for the past few years, but I'd like the models I produce to provide the best possible experience for end users. I was hoping someone might:

a) be able to point me in the direction of some exemplary manufacturer-produced models which I can reverse engineer; or

b) give me some pointers as to how you, as an end-user, would like manufacturer-produced lighting fixtures to function.

In addition:

1. I recall that there were problems with manufacturer-produced content often having been created using a wall/ceiling-based templates, and this was less than optimal for use in linked projects. I believe that the workaround was that lights were being built using generic face-based templates with the family category then changed to 'lighting fixture' to provide the light source. Is this still the best workaround available, or are have the issues with wall- and ceiling-based templates been resolved in Revit 2014?

2. I remember a related problem with having annotation symbols show in plan view with face-based lighting fixtures, and a workaround being that the category 'lighting fixture' was converted to 'lighting device' to provide the "Maintain annotation orientation" checkbox. A light source was then nested into the 'lighting device' family. This seemed fairly ludicrous at the time - is there a new workaround for this?

I appreciate that this is a lot to ask. If anyone fancies helping but doesn't feel like typing out an essay, a pointer to any good quality manufacturer-created lighting fixtures would be great.

Thanks!

Good quality manufacturer-produced families - any advice?

Hello everyone,

I know this is possibly the wrong sub-forum, but it seems like the most popular on the forum, so I thought I'd try my luck...

I'm currently making some families for a lighting manufacturer, and would like the models to provide the best possible experience for the end user. Hopefully some of you have used manufacturer-produced lighting fixtures which have been generally good quality.

1. Are there any examples of really good manufacturer-produced lighting families which I could possibly reverse engineer?

2. Does anyone have any suggestions for things that should definitely be avoided when manufacturers provide lighting families? I know a lot are over-modelled and are modelled from wall- or ceiling-based templates, which I intend to avoid.

I asked another couple of questions here on the off-chance that anyone fancies tackling them: http://www.revitforum.org/mep-family...-families.html

Thanks!

Comment

1. Phillips do some nice families that come with .ies files and materials. But they also come with sub-categories and some restrictive hosting.

2. I like my light families to have nested (shared) "bulbs" - that way I can switch out (using a family type parameter) "bulb" families of different wattages, colour temps, etc in the same luminaire-fitting, without needing different types (which is how they work in the real world) - this enables better group-control of artifical lights in renders (I find) - but might upset some (in terms of "over modelling").

Face (or workplane) hosted only!

BTW : I'm going to merge your two threads - you/we don't need two.

Comment

If your looking for Uk spec lighting families then Thorn Lighting have a good range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment