Controlling End Mullion Condition in Curtain Wall System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Controlling End Mullion Condition in Curtain Wall System

I have searched the forum but could not find an answer to my problem. I am trying to add a construction tolerance to a curtain wall family by trying to control the location of the mullions at the end of the system. On the left side of the image attached, is what I would like to happen. I would like to have the mullion to be placed outside the system. On the right side of the image is our current work around. We overlap large mullion with our butt glazed mullion and the we end up having to hide mullions & a small sliver of glass. I have tried shifting the location of the mullion to the left & right of the Center of Mullion reference plane but had no luck contro11ing it with that. I would like any insight into how this could be accomplished.
    Attached Files

Because the glass will cut wherever the profile line crosses the reference planes of the mullion profile, you can modify the panel to have your gap tolerance.
    Attached Files
    Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

Comment

Originally posted by MPwuzhere View Post
      Because the glass will cut wherever the profile line crosses the reference planes of the mullion profile, you can modify the panel to have your gap tolerance.
      Check that out in 3D!!! There are issues...

As an aside: I have created "Blind-Mullions" (not shown) creating the "profile" lines so they do not intersect the Ref Planes, then controlling their visibility (as I recall) and then placing a Generic Annotation of a masking region in the profile family (visible in plan/rcp only) to 'fake' the mullion into appearing to touch the glass... a similar approach may be desired in this case as well...

1-8-2013 1-45-11 PM.png
      -J
      http://about.me/JayZallan
      Tweet, Link or Blog me up!!!

Comment

Ah....didn't get that far to include the interior mullions... :/

Comment

Ah....didn't get that far to include the interior mullions... :/
          welcome to the world of Revit vs real life curtain wall
          I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Jones View Post
            welcome to the world of Revit vs real life curtain wall
            This is why I usually create custom windows instead....and I have done windows (curtain walls) that span 3 or 4 levels...largest file size is 5.4mb...as I have to be pretty specific for FEBR curtain walls.
            MPwuzhere
            R.I.P.
            Last edited by MPwuzhere; January 9, 2013, 03:51 PM.

Comment

This is why I usually create custom windows instead....and I have done windows (curtain walls) that span 3 or 4 levels...largest file size is 5.4mb...as I have to be pretty specific for FEBR curtain walls.
              "FEBR"? decipher please

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Jones View Post
                "FEBR"? decipher please
                Forced Entry, Blast/Bullet Resistant :beer:
                McMullen BPS - View our Range of Building Protection System Products

Comment

Someone beat me to it....but yeah FEBR or FE/BR is Forced Entry Bullet Resistant. Blast is actually an added variable, but usually only means the glass is a bit thicker than a regular FEBR window.

Comment

Originally posted by PijPiwo View Post
                    thanks, I'd never seen the acronym before. Being a curtain wall detailer and having never detailed a blast or bullet resistant curtain wall I wonder where something like that would be used. Prisons or institutional work I guess? Maybe we should think about using them in schools...

Comment