Family rotation trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Family rotation trouble

I have a solid_child face based family nested in a solid_parent family. I can rotate the child in any angular direction except when I hit zero degrees, then my constraints get all messed up. This is a very basic example of what I have created before and does work, but I cannot figure out what is happening. I feel that this should be vary basic but I am pulling my hair out. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Files

Did you mean to have one drawn in plan and one drawn in elevation? I switched it out and got it to work.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by rbcameron1; December 14, 2012, 07:49 PM.
    RB Cameron, AIA, LEED AP, EDAC, NCARB
    Architect - Parametric Designer - Visualization Instructor
    Download Healthcare Revit Models
    Download Revit+3dsMax Models

Comment

The child is face based so I thought it should have been done in plan and it needs to be drawn in elevation in the parent (i.e two axis rotation). I should have explained that the child was locked to the horizontal and vertical reference planes with the align tool. I did try your .rfa but once I locked it or added dimensions to control the location of the lower right corner it still behaves the same way. So, no solution yet.

Comment

Always use reference lines when doing any form of rotation parameter.

The child has its workplane set to the reference line, and the reference line is set at the pivot point you set up.

I have no idea what you're actually trying to do with this family, so I can't give you any more help with improving your workflow.
        Attached Files
        Developer at Anguleris BIMsmith Marketplace.
        Previously at Sumex Design for ARCAT.com

Comment

I don't mean to be obtuse, but I tried to do that already and I couldn't get it to behave the same way. I drew the line, used the align tool to lock to the vert and horz ref planes. Then when I got to change the work plane of the child, the reference line is not an option. So, I used the radio button to choose the line. Then I aligned and locked the right edge to the line and then aligned the bottom to the handle of the line. Still no dice. I feel like I am having Revit Block! This makes me feel like a noob again.

Comment

So, I got it to work like Andrew's, but I cannot replicate the constraints. I can only assign the child to the work plane of the line and lock it to that. Any more constraints will blow it up.

Comment

I have attached an attached an attempt....

The nested family is not locked at all. It rotates with the reference line as it is hosted on the reference line.

You can use this technique to set up the rotation in the child family which will make it less likely to break.

EDIT:
              Use References where possible over geometry.
              Lock to origins of nested families where possible.
              If a child hosted on a reference line is misbehaving, add an angular dimension to the child as well as the reference line. this can stop references breaking..
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Tim West; December 17, 2012, 01:06 AM. Reason: moreinfo
              I used to be high on life, until I realised it was cut with Morons.
              Combating ignorance daily through learning.

Comment

Originally posted by mmartin View Post
                I don't mean to be obtuse, but I tried to do that already and I couldn't get it to behave the same way. I drew the line, used the align tool to lock to the vert and horz ref planes. Then when I got to change the work plane of the child, the reference line is not an option. So, I used the radio button to choose the line. Then I aligned and locked the right edge to the line and then aligned the bottom to the handle of the line. Still no dice. I feel like I am having Revit Block! This makes me feel like a noob again.
                You're overconstraining it. I think part of the issue was I did not remove the constraints you had set up in the family earlier. You don't need to do any locking of any sort to get this to work.

1) Draw your reference line at the point where you want it to pivot. Make your angular dimension between the reference plane and the line. Set your angle to 0.
                2) Bring in the child family. Drop its origin corner at the intersection of the reference line and reference plane.
                3) Change the work plane of the child. Use "Pick Workplane" to select it (make sure to use tab to get the reference line and not the reference plane).
                4) The origin will stay aligned to the intersection point without needing to lock it in place.
                Developer at Anguleris BIMsmith Marketplace.
                Previously at Sumex Design for ARCAT.com

Comment

Thanks for all the help!

Comment

Apologies for digging up an old thread but I'm having such rotation issues with a adjustable north arrow that I'm creating and this topic seems relevant to my problem. I can get my own family to rotate but it breaks and even the examples posted in this topic break yet I'm surprised that nobody has commented that they do break at specific angles of rotation. Take Tim West's example, it works fine for almost all angles except if you put the rotation to 0/180/270/360. Once you do this the family will not flex using the same desired rotation point at the host family origin and now uses the opposite end of the reference line instead. Strangely 90 degrees doesn't display the same behaviour but I'm not sure why. I've tried using the other technique of 2 No. reference planes at 90 degrees to each other to control rotation mentioned here: http://www.revitforum.org/architectu...html#post25761. Whilst this doesn't break in the same way, it isn't completely correct either as the rotation of the nested family isn't true to the parent origin as you can see if you draw a symbolic circle from origin to mid point of the rectangle at 0 degree rotation. If it was correct that point would touch the circle at every rotation angle but it doesn't.

So, the question is, how do you rotate a family via a parameter at every possible angle of rotation whilst maintaining a consistent pivot point?

Thanks

Comment