Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parametric Elliptical Shapes

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Parametric Elliptical Shapes

    We like to show our tree canopies as funny shaped blobs. We measure the tree canopies in the four cardinal directions and then loosely string them together with a spline. tree canopy example.jpg These were done in CAD.

    I'm trying to create a parametric tree family in Revit that will do this for us without having to draw each one individually. We really need it for plan, so I'm not concerned about the height of the tree, or the canopy in 3D. Model lines in plan is good enough for me.

    While I don't need the canopy to be exact, I need it to look fluid. And I can't seem to create a parametric family with model lines that is fluid: tree canopy bad.jpg This looks terrible!

    So I thought maybe an adaptive component would curve in a way that looks decent. I created an adaptive component of a model line with 4 points, but I can't seem to get it to work without it breaking.

    Any suggestions? Or solutions? Or completely out of left field ideas?

    Thanks!
    Mia Frietze
    LPA, Inc.

    #2
    Oh, maybe this should have gone in the family creation section. But I don't know how to change it.
    Mia Frietze
    LPA, Inc.

    Comment


      #3
      Is this too simple, or not enough?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Andrew K; November 5, 2012, 05:51 PM.
      Developer at Anguleris BIMsmith Marketplace.
      Previously at Sumex Design for ARCAT.com

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by mfrietze View Post
        Oh, maybe this should have gone in the family creation section. But I don't know how to change it.
        There ya go..
        Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

        Comment


          #5
          Food for thought:

          4 model lines for N,S,E,W - could probably just be 2 lines.
          4 ellipses that are trimmed to the model lines and constrained to the RPs

          seems to work ok on this end.
          Attached Files
          Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO


          chad
          BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

          Comment


            #6
            Andrew,
            That is definitely getting there! But, see, I added a circle and cross hair at the tree trunk location, and the way the Ellipse moves the longest part (going north and south) is not in front of the trunk... Its crazy to think that we WANT the egg shaped-ness, but its closer to what we're seeing on-site. (Your family is in Red with the same cardinal dimensions as the CAD spline.)
            tree canopy test 1.jpg
            Mia Frietze
            LPA, Inc.

            Comment


              #7
              Mr. Chad!!!

              That seems to work!! Now... How the hell did you do that so fast? Thanks! Okay. Now I will try to recreate it to see if I can do it, too.

              Woo-hoo. Thanks!
              Mia Frietze
              LPA, Inc.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by mfrietze View Post
                Andrew,
                That is definitely getting there! But, see, I added a circle and cross hair at the tree trunk location, and the way the Ellipse moves the longest part (going north and south) is not in front of the trunk... Its crazy to think that we WANT the egg shaped-ness, but its closer to what we're seeing on-site. (Your family is in Red with the same cardinal dimensions as the CAD spline.)
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]10139[/ATTACH]
                Whoops! Did not see the tree trunk location lines.

                Yes, Chad's method is the one you want to use.

                2 model lines for N/S E/W (that way if someone hits 0 for one of the dimensions it won't break). You can use partial ellipses to save some trimming time. Don't even need to constrain them.
                Developer at Anguleris BIMsmith Marketplace.
                Previously at Sumex Design for ARCAT.com

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by mfrietze View Post
                  Mr. Chad!!!

                  That seems to work!! Now... How the hell did you do that so fast? Thanks! Okay. Now I will try to recreate it to see if I can do it, too.

                  Woo-hoo. Thanks!
                  I'm a supergenius. or I got lucky :hide:

                  I tried partial ellipses but didn't get it work, probably user error on placing them. I also ran into an issue with one of the ellipses not moving when I changed the dimensions which is why I locked it.
                  Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO


                  chad
                  BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I think when I was originally trying to get this to work, I tried the partial ellipse, and it didn't work. I didn't think to try to full ellipse and trim and lock down.
                    Mia Frietze
                    LPA, Inc.

                    Comment

                    Related Topics

                    Collapse

                    Working...
                    X