Creating a Pre-Cast Module

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating a Pre-Cast Module

I work for a company that produces pre-cast concrete modules, which is a 3.5m x 5m or 7m size box, basically, with 4 walls, and a roof (no floor), a cornice is also cast in.

I use sketchup with the presentation work, as it's quick and easy to add openings, apply materials, etc etc. The boss now wants to use me for drafting, and I told him sketchup is no good for detail construction drawings, and I told him I use Revit.

What I want to know is, how can I model these modules? Can I convert a sketchup file to revit? If I create these, is it simple to create openings? The faces ideally would be walls and a ceiling, and roof.

Sorry if it's not making sense, can be hard to explain

Sketchup comes in as faces. You can select these faces to make walls and such, but really there is little intelligence brought through.

I would recommend just drawing a box using the wall tools then place a the roof and ceiling after. Using walls, roof, and ceiling adding openings is pretty quick...

Comment

I don't know... Would need to have more info here. Do you have standard sizes, variations and stuff? How about the amount and placement of the openings? Would you need to add all kinds of construction aids? Would you need to model joints and stuff? And so on...

The more specific you get, and more "presets" you have, the more I would lean towards building the whole thing as generic model components and compile from there...
      Martijn de Riet
      Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
      MdR Advies
      Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

If it truly is a modular system - I'd be tempted to model it out of a speciality equipment family (for ease of repeated placement) most probably with nested components (to keep the frontend parameters to a sensible limit) - but that way you'd lose pretty much all documenting & editing control at a project level.

There's always groups... model it once just as gdoherty suggests, group - then place. Just be wary of meddlesome automated wall joining...

Comment

Originally posted by mdradvies View Post
          I don't know... Would need to have more info here. Do you have standard sizes, variations and stuff? How about the amount and placement of the openings? Would you need to add all kinds of construction aids? Would you need to model joints and stuff? And so on...

The more specific you get, and more "presets" you have, the more I would lean towards building the whole thing as generic model components and compile from there...
          I've attached a sketchup model of one of our module sizes... We have 2 standard sizes at the moment, 3.5m x 7m and 3.5m x 5m, and from that we also have the ability to part-cast a module, effectively have one end opened (Imagine getting a saw and chopping down the middle of a full-cast module.) The placement and amount of openings vary depending on the project, where the particular module is in the design, etc. Probably won't need to model joints (we have 20mm between modules on all sides, and 10mm when stacked ontop of each other), can use detail lines.

We cast the module in one hit, so to make it appear as one is the tricky bit which I can't get. Nor can I get the cornice modelled right. Any help would be great guys, it's hard to explain
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by snowyweston View Post
            If it truly is a modular system - I'd be tempted to model it out of a speciality equipment family (for ease of repeated placement) most probably with nested components (to keep the frontend parameters to a sensible limit) - but that way you'd lose pretty much all documenting & editing control at a project level.

There's always groups... model it once just as gdoherty suggests, group - then place. Just be wary of meddlesome automated wall joining...
            It's very much modular, will have a look at speciailty equipment family. But what do you mean 'you'd lose pretty much all documenting & editing controls at a project level'?

Comment

Originally posted by Richo View Post
              will have a look at speciailty equipment family.
              You won't find anything in the template - it's simply another category for things that don't necessarily align to a conventional architectural category like "plumbing" - which is why it's often used for unique items/assemblies like you're proposing.

Originally posted by Richo View Post
              But what do you mean 'you'd lose pretty much all documenting & editing controls at a project level'?
              In that with system families in a project, and loaded families (of different categories) you'll have access to all the inbuilt visibility & graphic controls & overrides and annotation tools (to name just a few) - whereas with the whole thing created as a single family, you won't.

Comment

So I've got my model, a couple questions.

How can I make faces walls and ceiling?

When I do a section it doesn't actually cut through? Same with floor plan, it doesn't have a cut

How do you add in details you see such as cost and that?

I've attached my template so you can have a look. Modelled as a 'Speciality Equipment'
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Richo; November 21, 2011, 11:26 PM.

Comment

The only issue with doing this as a family is that you can't do walls, ceilings, floors, roofs or any other system family I would just do this as a model group.

Comment