Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making the roof extend to become wall and floor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making the roof extend to become wall and floor?

I am relatively new to Revit. very happy with it and all it functions.
    however i stumbled upon this image of the new archicad 15 splashscreen. and i was wondering if you could do something similar in revit in terms of having the same roof slab become the wall and then the floor slab.

archicad_151.jpg

one way of doing it would be to create a conceptual mass and convert entire surface to wall or such (not entirely sure how this is done exactly though)
    was wondering if there is a smarter way of doing it.

any help will be greatly appreciated.
    thanks in advance.

I don't think a Wall can turn horizontal and a roof or floor can't turn vertical.

You'll either have to make do with roofs and floors with the same layer system as the wall or an extrusion (or whatever) to achieve your desired shapes.
    Greg McDowell Jr
    about.me/GMcDowellJr

Comment

Also with the type of Architecture in the photo there is no technical distinction between Roof and Wall. It can be argued but it doesn't matter what object is used... Create a mass and apply either Walls or Roofs to the faces.
      -J
      http://about.me/JayZallan
      Tweet, Link or Blog me up!!!

Comment

Massing would be the way to do that example.

A roof can, however, go vertical - create it by extrusion and it can wrap back underneath itself (depending on its thickness - you can get some strange results sometimes).
        Michael
        Canberra, Australia

Comment

Here is a very quick mockup I did which took about 2 minutes to do in Revit. Its not perfect but it shows the basic idea. Created using Mass, Roof by Face and curtain walls.
          Attached Files
          Chris Price
          Co Founder | BIM Manager | Product Designer | B.Arch (QUT)
          Xrev Revit API Add-ins | Revit Rants

Comment

Originally posted by GMcDowellJr View Post
            I don't think a Wall can turn horizontal and a roof or floor can't turn vertical.

You'll either have to make do with roofs and floors with the same layer system as the wall or an extrusion (or whatever) to achieve your desired shapes.
            Yes they can, as long as you use the Roof / Wall by Face option. Keep in mind though: the end of the Roof / Wall might give you some problems. A wall for instance is by definition trimmed horizontally by Revit. Using a Wall on this which ends almost horizontal will give you an error cause Revit cannot define it's end. Same with the Roof in a near vertical ending when using the Plumb Cut option for the Rafter Cuts.
            Martijn de Riet
            Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
            MdR Advies
            Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment