Problem with constraints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with constraints

Still trying to wrap my head around the Constraints/Parameters in Revit.
    In my model I have two reference planes whose position in the massing environment is driven by two parameters.

Moving the reference planes interactively (by dragging them in the viewport) flexes the model correctly. However, using the parameters to flex the model with fire up a "constraints not satisfied alert."

Any idea how to resolve this problem?

This is my model with the problematic setup:
    Attached Files

Make sure the dimensions are locked to the reference planes, and that they are tied to the dimension parameters.
    Then, make sure the model geometry is locked to the reference planes. Make sure the dimensions are not locked to the model geometry.
    Cliff B. Collins
    Registered Architect
    The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
    Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

thank you Cliff,

I wasn't locking the dim-parameter. That's probably why the alert was ******* up every time I change the dims.
      But now after locking dims, I can't flex the model in the viewport by moving the reference planes. I can only do so by modifying the parameters.

Is it either one or the other. I mean do I only have a choice between flexing the modeling by modifying dims or flexing the model through manipulating the reference planes in the viewport?

Comment

The intention is to drive model geometry with parameters, so this is expected behavior. Reference Planes are really meant to be almost "imaginary" 3D datum
        which are not used/edited in the same way model geometry is. Just my take on it.
        Cliff B. Collins
        Registered Architect
        The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
        Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

works fine with me... HOWEVER: you need to select the element which you want to move first, then change the dimension. For some reason (and this could be intended behaviour, I don't know) Revit wants to move the points placed on the Center refplane, nr2 and nr4
          Martijn de Riet
          Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
          MdR Advies
          Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Thank you Cliff, and Mdradvies for testing

I am still having trouble with constraints.

This time with adaptive point. I have two adaptive points with a dimension line in between them. I labeled the dim line width, and locked it. When I change the parameter values, I sill get the alert "constrains not satisfied" as you can see in the image.

Adaptive points.PNG

I have also included the file below,

Thanks for your help,
            Attached Files

Comment

Same here: you'll need to select the AC you want to use...
              Second: why lock the dim? When you lock a dimension you are telling Revit that the value shouldn't change! That's not the desired effect, or else you wouldn't need to label it.
              And it's also a common thinking error when you just arrive from CADland... When you place the dimension and put in a parameter, it will stay there. It will stay referenced to the elements it's dimensioning and the parameter you put in.
              Martijn de Riet
              Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
              MdR Advies
              Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment