Pattern Based Curtain Panel - Keep Panel Extrusion aligned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pattern Based Curtain Panel - Keep Panel Extrusion aligned

Attached image shows an example where pattern based curtain panels are "orthogonal" to the mass face. I would like to prevent the panels/profiles from "tilting" and keep them "aligned" to the project XY system (flat transoms).
    Any ideas how this could work?
    I have tried a more simple example (attached images) and played around with the "Adaptive Points/Adaptive Components/Orients To" selection in the Pattern Based Curtain Panel RFA.... no luck sofar.
    Would I need a panel that is similar to what I tried to show in the last image (form generated by shape and oblique reference path)?
    Attached Files

You can add additional points on top of the original 3 points then you can control the pattern better, scroll down toward the bottom of this post for a good explanation
    buildz: 2009
    Scott D. Brown, AIA | Senior Project Manager | Beck Group

Comment

After reading the previous reply, checking the buildz site and extensive "trial and error" I could now make the panels extrude horizontally with more tidy joints.
      Initially I went ahead and hosted point on top of the adaptive points in the panel family with no success.
      The trick for me was to replicate the geometry of the panel in the family as close as it is in the final project - i had to have the hosted points next to the adaptive points, not on top.
      After that it was playing around with the properties of the adaptive points and setting the "orients To` to "Global (z) then Host (xy)".
      Attached Revit 2017.2 family and project should help understanding how this has worked for me. (Still need to make the "Panel Depth" parameter work)
      Thanks
      Attached Files

Comment

Reading Buildz will open your mind to things that I could have never come up with on my own. But yes trial and error is the way to learn.
        Scott D. Brown, AIA | Senior Project Manager | Beck Group

Comment

Creating the simple triangular panel that extrudes along the project X/Y direction was already quite difficult for me. I have now tried to create a panel that represents a frame (full panel with a hole) which is similar to what the screenshot from my initial post showed.
          While I am able to create the geometry for an "upright" triangle (loft created from reference-line-triangle connecting the adaptive points and triangle connecting the reference points with similarly created void form for the hole), once I move the adaptive point at the top below the level 1 reference plane, I get a warning and the geometry goes berzerk as shown in attached screenshot.
          I think I understand why this happens: The void form is getting flatter and flatter the closer the top point comes to the level 1 reference plane and is kind of "inside-out" once the point is below the reference plane. I don't have a solution how to fix this and am now questioning if having the reference points besides the adaptive points was a good idea... any help is appreciated.
          Attached Files

Comment