Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adaptive Points / Column - Adjustable in revit model space?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adaptive Points / Column - Adjustable in revit model space?

Thanks for viewing,
    I have a problem with creating a family of a column thats Adjustable in revit model space possibly using adaptive points. I need to adjust points on a column with a point cloud on the fly. The problem is the complexity of the shape and the need for 20 sections (Client want a section at every 4' height sliced through the column) each to have the adaptive point to match the point cloud. Below is the image of the shape of this column (point #1 is for placement of the family). Below that is an image of a column that I can adjust in the family editor (not in the revit model space view with a Generic Model Pattern Based template) which is ok but I have to look at the point cloud and then get out of model space and move a point by memory and keep doing that till I match it correctly. This is a major problem since the building has 60 columns around the perimeter which equals a lot of adjustments. 13 points X 20 sections X 60 = 15,600 maximum adjustments. That is if every point doesn't line up with the point cloud. Setting up parameters would be awkward.
    Other option is to load the Point Cloud into 3D Max but then its not a revit element when I link into revit and the cut surface may not read solid. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance !
    Attached Files

can you set up reference plans every four feet in the family and add a profile at each of those with dimensions(parameters) to your control points.
    Scott D. Brown, AIA | Senior Project Manager | Beck Group

Comment

Is this what you intended? It would work if they only need to see plans. The problem is it needs to be solid.
      How can this be a seamless model, similar to the one above but be able to adjust it in revit model space? Thanks in advance.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by kbodesign; January 19, 2017, 08:23 PM.

Comment

I believe if those are reference points and ref. lines, then you make the form by selecting them, those point will be accessible to push and pull. If they are model lines and model points they will get "eaten" when you make the form.
        Scott D. Brown, AIA | Senior Project Manager | Beck Group

Comment

Thanks but this doesn't seem to be working as I expected. It partially works but not if the column is a solid to the top of the building 70' in height. Example below, you see the handle on the bottom corner but I need the top to have them too and a few in the middle at every corner as well while it remains a solid throughout.
          Attached Files

Comment

Is something like this what you're after?

1.PNG

The only adaptive point I used is at the center of the cross at the floor level, the rest are shape handles with reference planes attached. I copied these shape handles and reference planes up every 4' x 20 then selected just the reference planes to create a form. You can grab any shape handle point and move in the X,Y, & Z axis, this makes your point cloud.

2.PNG
            3.PNG

It would be cool if you could hide the points in project view after moving them around but haven't found a way to do that yet.
            Attached Files

Comment

Ok, it looks like I made some progress. I was able to snap with 3d snapping an Adaptive point with /shape handle selected in properties panel. Aligned to the x and y line of the top of the solid. Also I was able to add a profile to the solid and apply the same technique and it works as seen below. The problem which is as important to know here is that I didn't change the point to shape handle and aligned it to the x and y of the intersecting corners. Thanks and I hope you may find this useful.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by kbodesign; January 20, 2017, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Yes that's exactly what I was looking for. That's awesome thank you very much.
                I found that creating a profile your able to snap the shape handle to it. You'll see the image below as one that I recently did.
                The points showing is ok cause when your done just uncheck them in Visibility Graphics and turn them off. Have a great weekend. Thanks

Comment