Conceptual Mass and Curtain Wall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conceptual Mass and Curtain Wall?

Hi, I'm an architecture student in the Dominican Republic and i recently started using revit... but im having some difficulties in creating my ideas, :banghead: tutorials are very vague on youtube and i need to get this done or my heart will breeak. aaaanywho, heres the sketch of what id like to to and i would like to know if anyone knew how? and could elaborate for me?

1278978985-tejido-de-ca-aflecha-749x1000.jpg1278978922-el-tejido-5-1000x602.jpg3D View 2.jpg

ok the first picture id like to know how to mass that? or its a modified wall? I want to make an entire facade of that on a bigger scale of course... in a different material. Sort of like the second pic in concrete but i wanna try out metal or something else...

Also the Concrete zigzag facade how can u do that for a ceiling? where in between the bodies light pierces through them.. and lastly, the render is a wwooden facade that i took a wall and just chopped it up and put a material in front, how can i make it look like wooden palm boards on different heights... is it all massing or what?

thanks in advance i know its a lot... but im desperate here.

There´s a number of ways to achieve the zig-zag facades...
    1. Conceptual massing with Adaptive Components for the concrete (or metal) elements
    2. Create the concrete elements with custom column families.
    3. Create a generic family for the concrete elements
    4. Create a in-place family for the concrete elements
    In the end it really depends on how constrained your design is... If it´s gonna change a lot, go for option 1 - If not, go for any of the others (Personally I´d probably pick option 3 then)

Good luck with the design, and welcome to the Forum :beer:
    Klaus Munkholm
    "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Comment

I would first think really hard about the final objectives, and make a very short SWOT analysis.
      Some useful question you should ask yourself first:
      1. Do you need to schedule the panels?
      2. How flexible (for changes) do you need the model?
      3. If flexible, how do you control it? constrains? fixed sizes?
      4. Do you need to attach the envelope to the interiors? This is critical and usually relates to how it will be really built.
      5. By the pictures, all panels seem repetitive. Will you create exceptions?
      6. How will you tag those panels?
      7. Will those panels be somehow grouped? Similar sizes are usually more economical.

Each of Klaus options have pros and cons for each question above.
      As I said before do a quick SWOT for each.
      There can be a few more things to think about, but this is enough for you to start.
      Gonçalo Feio
      "Ignorance, ignorance, sheer ignorance - you know there's no confidence to equal it. It's only when you know something about a profession, I think, that you're timid and careful." George Orson Welles

Comment

Just noticed the reply @ AUGI by Dimitri Harvalias.
        Much simpler answer with a example - give him reputation
        Gonçalo Feio
        "Ignorance, ignorance, sheer ignorance - you know there's no confidence to equal it. It's only when you know something about a profession, I think, that you're timid and careful." George Orson Welles

Comment

Yea this was pretty helpful to both, i think im gonna try the 3rd option to create the facade i want and upload it as a family and just repeat it, and for the ceiling and palm boards dimitri was very helpful

thank god for all you experts!

I'll try it out adn provide feedback to see if i got stuck along the way or sumthing lol

Comment

Forgot option 5:
            • Create a custom curtain wall panel, and apply it to a regular curtain wall.
            Have a look at the attached sample, which could easily be made more parametric (The needed ref. planes are there, just apply dimensions/parameters to suit your needs)

And yes, Feio is correct. The "right" option depends on your specific needs... :beer:
            Attached Files
            Klaus Munkholm

Comment

Thank you so much!! youve given me the "awesomest" idea, just to be sure:

You created a family then set up the diagonal ref planes and the plan view planes, then created the two forms out of extrudes.. am i right? how do i edit the material on it tho, im tired of looking and cant find it.

Comment

Believe that I made a Type Parameter for the material, so just look up the "Zig-Zag" family in the project browser, and change the material from there.

And yes, you´re correct on how I made the curtain wall panel :beer:
                Klaus Munkholm

Comment

Ok I tried doing the same concept of the zigzag to achieve something like the sktch I just added but I can't make a curve plane... How do I adjust it so I can make it like u did that if u adjustt the height it continues multiplying one ontop of the other... The brown things are wood tablets alongside a steel frame I guess...
                  Attached Files

Comment

Wow, that´s some design challenge to take on for someone just recently started using Revit

Of course you can´t make curved planes... planes are by nature flat - not curved

You should be able to create the tower shape as a mass, and then apply a curtain system "By face" - In the curtain system, set up the horizontal grids to divide it, and the loaded "zig-zag" panel will be "multiplying on top of the other"
                    Klaus Munkholm

Comment