Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3ds max to Revit massing & "wall by face"

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    3ds max to Revit massing & "wall by face"

    Hi Everyone , this is my first post here . I'm trying to import a model from 3ds max to revit as a ".dxf" file , then use the option "wall by face" to outline all the exterior faces _ only exterior _ , in 3ds max i convert it to editable poly . and the mass is imported perfectly , the only problem there is that not all of the walls are made , Revit doesn't snap to all the polygons i have created before , about 20% of all the faces i imported are completely inactive..... i attached an image.123456789.JPG

    any advice ?

    #2
    Revit doesn't work well with mesh models. I think the way to do it, would be some sort of *sat file import.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by YahyaM. View Post
      I'm trying to import a model from 3ds max to revit as a ".dxf" file... in 3ds max i convert it to editable poly ...
      First, Don't use DXF. Use DWG if possible. Secondly, instead of Polys, use solids from Max.

      Are you importing into an "in place family mass"? That is, are you starting a new Mass in the project by creating a new "in place component" ad then importing your Max model into it?

      Thirdly, use Revit 2014 as soon as you can. The newest version of Revit handles solids upon import much better, and even includes the ability to explode them into forms that are editable in Revit.
      Scott D Davis
      Sr. AEC Technical Specialist
      Autodesk, Inc.
      http://bit.ly/aboutsdd

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by tuekappel View Post
        Revit doesn't work well with mesh models. I think the way to do it, would be some sort of *sat file import.
        Actually i tried that one but it gives the same output

        Originally posted by Scott D Davis View Post
        First, Don't use DXF. Use DWG if possible. Secondly, instead of Polys, use solids from Max. Are you importing into an "in place family mass"? That is, are you starting a new Mass in the project by creating a new "in place component" ad then importing your Max model into it? Thirdly, use Revit 2014 as soon as you can. The newest version of Revit handles solids upon import much better, and even includes the ability to explode them into forms that are editable in Revit.
        i tried .DWG but its the same , as far as i know , in max you cant make complex solids without polys , and i import it into revit as "model in place" . what really bugs me is that i can make walls from most polys "inclined and straight" , then revit simply stops snapping on other faces for no reason...

        Comment


          #5
          Have you tried using "Body objects" in Max?
          Then export as sat file, and import.

          Native Solids Import/Export

          Comment


            #6
            Wow I'm a Maxoholic and i never heard of body objects before , anyway i tried it and it worked , but it just increases the number of polygons that i already have , i guess "body object" can only be used on basic shapes , any ideas ?

            Comment


              #7
              If use basic Max objects, and then apply modifiers like twist/bend etc on the body object it seems to behave in Revit when export as a solid Sat file.

              Just tested with a giant torus, and a twisted/bendt tower.
              I´ll have a look at nurbs/bevels tomorrow, perhaps there is a trick.

              Nurbs no go it seems, but FFD modifier works with Curtain systems.


              mass.png
              Hemisphere.jpg
              Last edited by Krauten; April 8, 2013, 06:19 PM.

              Comment


                #8
                Yeah i Started Using it and its amazing , a minor problem is that i cannot cut the sphere "as shown in the image above" with the tools that is given , but the real problem is that the "body objects" intersect with each other , which later in revit makes it impossible to make floors , saying "massing floors cannot create extrusion" , i tried the "join bodies" command in 3ds max , they group up but still intersecting .

                Comment


                  #9
                  Intersect/merge faces works when join, and behave with walls (used a box to cut the hemisphere in above image)

                  Comment


                    #10
                    the box cutting object works (thanks ALOT btw xD ) , but the object still intersect even with "join objects" and with the intersect\merge option , check the .max please .
                    body-objects.max download - 2shared

                    Comment

                    Related Topics

                    Collapse

                    Working...
                    X