In-place mass visibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In-place mass visibility

After hosting a wall on an in-place mass I edited the mass, selected the form and un-checked the "Visible" box, see graphic. Now I want to edit the mass and rehost the wall, but I can not see the mass to pick it. This is not a simple check "Show Mass" or edit VG overrides. I would like to do this to a few other masses in the model, but do not want to loose the ability to edit them. All the walls with visible and "invisible" masses have the "Related to Mass" box checked. Any suggestions?

Mass Properties.PNG

In a 3D view, select the wall with a crossing (window select from right to left), click the Filter, the Mass should be in there, uncheck all the other items and you should get the Edit button in the Ribbon.

Comment

Picking Invisible Mass

Tried that - does not work. Here is an example.
      Attached Files

Comment

Don't click the visible button is my only suggestion (why that function is there... :banghead
        Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

Comment

There are mass items I want to appear in a rendering and others, like those hosting walls, I do not want to appear. The only way I know to do this is to uncheck the Visible box. I suppose I could delete the walls and create new masses, but wouldn't the old masses still be there?

Comment

Masses are used to create custom situations (such as sloped walls)....if you want to show something in a 3D view and renderings then you want to create extrusions within the wall itself.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish with the wall? A sloped battered wall or something like that?
            Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

Comment

A series of sloped walls - see image. I want to edit the walls to extend the base to the bottom of the 2nd floor concrete floor and need to grab the mass to do this. The rails of the spiral stair beyond the windows, and in the 2nd image, are a mass family. So I need to Show Mass for the rails, but not the walls, which is why I unchecked the Visible box in the wall masses.

Sloped Wall.PNG

Stair.PNG

Comment

Find the name of the In-Place Mass in the Project Browser -> RMK -> Select all instances in the Project -> Edit In-Place.

Regarding wanting to show some Masses and hide some others, make a distinct difference between the 2 sorts maybe in naming convention, maybe a yes/no parameter. Then make a filter to grab the ones you want to make invisible in the rendering so you can turn them off.

Do a search for filters and their uses on this forum, there are a bunch of threads with good suggestions and trick to get filters to do what you want.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Bjorn_K; February 6, 2013, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Fantastic! Worked like a charm, and so obvious once you think about it. Sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees.

I have used filters some, but need to learn more. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by rjhornberger View Post
                    Sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees.
                    Well, you do live in Cananda.....

Edit: Ooops or California offcourse..... somewhat less trees over there.
                    Last edited by Bjorn_K; February 7, 2013, 12:01 PM.

Comment