Straight roof - or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Straight roof - or not?

Tried several options to design this type of roof within Revit, but since I'm still a n00b working with masses, I might need some help. The attachment shows the desired result, a roof that slopes in several directions. The blue part is the top, this slopes only from the highest point (left) to the back (right). So far so good.

The red part is the tricky part for me. The architect wants no curved parts, only one straight roof that ends on different heights.

I also included the mass family, where you can see the red part (from the image) in fact consists of 3 pieces, each with different slopes.

I'm really stuck here, so a little help would really be appreciated!
    Attached Files
    Arjan Ikink, BIM-engineer at PHB Deventer
    LinkedIn

Not sure you need to deal with masses for this. Looks like 3 roofs by footprint with slope arrows should do the trick. Hard part is figuring out where to place the slope arrows!
    Greg McDowell Jr
    about.me/GMcDowellJr

Comment

or one roof with shape edits
      Scott D. Brown, AIA | Senior Project Manager | Beck Group

Comment

I've tried constructing your roof as 3 ordinary roofs with slope arrows, but the problem is, that none of the footprint lines are horizontal. they alle have an angle, which makes it really hard to figure out where to put the slope arrow, as GMcDowellJr says.

in massing, i would construct the roof as an swept blend, and then "crop" it at the sides. i'll upload my trial and error model in a minute.

Comment

So this is my attempt. I'm a little bit tired, and i have to go to work in the morning ( pretending to know about Conceptual Mass Editing. "Fake it till you make it" ), so await my explanations....
          Attached Files

Comment

Mass>Roof by Face, or as Scott suggests, Edit Points of a single Roof. ( or two roofs ).
            Cliff B. Collins
            Registered Architect
            The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
            Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

Originally posted by ikinks View Post
              ...I'm really stuck here, so a little help would really be appreciated!
              Family A is the body of the "bird". Family "B" is the wing. They have a common edge of the same length (red, dashed line).
              In family C, attach the wings to the body, rotate the wings, rotate the body. Load into project and convert the bird into a roof.
              Need to re-shape the body? Go to "A". Need to reshape the wing? Go to "B". Need different slopes? Adjust the rotations.
              Just 3 flat surfaces, with coplanar vertices, rotated, and without triangulations.

-----------------------
              Happy birthday, RFO ! :beer:
              Attached Files
              Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

Comment

Originally posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
                the "bird"... the wing.
                How did you know? Really, the first sketches (made by another architect) looked like a lapwing, including head and huge wings. :crazy: Our in-house architect made it a little more abstract, which eventually led to this. In the meantime, things have changed a bit again, but now I know how and where to start. Thanks Alfredo!

* Really need to get heads-in with this whole massing thingy.
                Arjan Ikink, BIM-engineer at PHB Deventer
                LinkedIn

Comment

Originally posted by ikinks View Post
                  How did you know?
                  Well, a little bird told me... :laugh:
                  Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

Comment

Originally posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
                    Well, a little bird told me... :laugh:
                    hahaha!! :thumbsup:

One of these days I'll actually learn how to use conceptual massing / adaptive components :hide:
                    Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
                    BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Comment