Failed to Open Document

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Failed to Open Document

I have a file that is refusing to open on multiple computers. Revit in it's genius is only telling me that it failed to open. :banghead:

no worksharing, standalone licenses, file is stored on local network. There are several other Revit files up and open on other systems.

any thoughts?
    Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
    BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Audit the file?
    Dan

Comment

I tried an Audit & just to try, a Detach from Central. No luck on either...

chad

Comment

Try copying the file in Windows and renaming it. Any luck?
        Cliff B. Collins
        Registered Architect
        The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
        Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

Originally posted by cliff collins View Post
          Try copying the file in Windows and renaming it. Any luck?
          nope

I was able to pull the backup from the day before and it worked - but that means the loss of a day's worth of work...

chad

Comment

I see it the most in non-workshared projects when someone:

1. Works over standard VPN (unsupported, and corrupts files)
            2. Moves the file while someone is in the file, including FTP sites. (Works fine for workshared, not for non-workshared).
            3. Loses network connectivity while saving (wifi).
            Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
            @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Hey guys,

Just wanted to check-in on this issue. Recently came up for us too, but the user in question can not confirm or deny any potential cause as listed above. It's quite bizarre. It was a non-workshare file, and the weird thing is that when you go to open the file that fails to open, there is an option to detach from central. The user has assure me that they did not even attempt to enable worksharing, and there is no worksharing back up folder either. This all in 2014.

Comment

Can you do a "Show History" on it? (Collaborate Tab)
                Dave Plumb
                BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

Hey Dave - Just tried it, but it's giving me the same message - failed to open document.

Comment

I've had the same issue as JJ Mac. It was a non-workshare file. The only additional bit of information that is different is that the user copied the file so that there would be an "existing" and "proposed" project files for the existing building and proposed construction. I turned the "proposed" project into a central file and then the "existing" file failed to open with the option to detach from central. Does a copy of a non-workshared file remain somehow connected so that at a later date they would be referencing the same central file? This makes no sense to me.

Comment