Shared Coordinates (again!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shared Coordinates (again!)

Q: Is there any difference to saving the positions of linked (workshared RS) Central models (after you've published coordinates to them) than there is when the links aren't workshared? I'm wrestling with a pig of a model that's been screwed up all over the show, and having just "fixed" on model back to where it should be (against my private, safe, coordinator file) I published, saved positions, closed out of the "coordinator" file, opened the "fixed" model, (creating a new local to do so) - removed all of it's links, and made a new link of the "coordinator" file - and it still reported a mismatch in shared coordinates?!!? :banghead:

I'm too tired to keep looking at it - so I'm abandoning it for now - and this post... but, well.... Garrrrgggghhhhhhh!

Snowy,

In my experience it make little difference to standalone or workshared links for acquiring coordinates.

I'm not sure if it helps, I have been wrestling with shared coordinates, and in my infinite wisdon, though I should make a 'Location' file (not WSed) and use it to coordinate my consultants models (all WSed) is Navisworks. I kept finding my models in very different places and stumbled onto an inssue revit has, and how to fix it!!

In my case I had an Architect whos 2D drawings out of Bentley had spot coordinates for a few grid intersections, so I unpinned the project base point, moved it to the grid intersection, pinned it any typed in the dims I needed to relocate the project, which worked perfectly.

What I had been trying to do, was to move my 'Location' file to the correct position and reacquire coordinates as things had moved from the tender stage, which wouldn't work!! after reading a few posts here I discovered that once a location has been acquired, you cannot reacquire it from the same model, even if you remove the link and reload it! Instead you need to acquire coordinates from a different file (I made a 'blank' file with a 3D line target around the survey/project base point) then reacquired coordinates from my correctly ( and newly) repositioned 'Location' file. Worked like a charm (even though I had already found a workable solution!!).

I hope this helps you situation!

P.S. The only coordinates I could affect were those in the linked file, and subsequent loading of any of the base files (which all had the 'Location' file) would return a crazy message like 'shared coordinates in the linked file have been moved yet not saved, would you like to save now?' which was driving me nuts, as I HAD saved the file several times, and my coordinates kept getting written over!! Luckily, it was a standalone, so I had versions to restore from!!
    Last edited by Tim West; August 1, 2012, 07:35 PM. Reason: Additional inflammation
    I used to be high on life, until I realised it was cut with Morons.
    Combating ignorance daily through learning.

Comment

Ive found quite a number of times, that the session of Revit "remembers." What i mean is, ive gone in a model that was all ****ed up, and ive removed all the links, in their entirely. After that, if i didnt completely close the file and go back in, every time i relinked something to the correct coords, it still came in all SNAFU.
      Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
      @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Okay so the problem persists.

With my site coordination model (you might have missed me mentioning I use one Tim) I have linked, positioned and published the coordinates to ALL of our models.

I then went into our models (in which I removed all links last night) to re-make the links. I deleted my locals (of everything) before doing this. There should be no "knowledge" of the models past.

BUT

when I link one model into another, lo and behold, "Warning (may be igorned) Shared Sites in the Linked Model "X" have been modified."
        And I'm left here :banghead: thinking "No! No they have not!" then worse - when I don't get that, I get that ultra-confusing "Unable to make the necessary Workset (Project Info) editable..." warning.

I've had half a team twiddling thumbs today. And this is making me go batshit.

Comment

We actually have a "Revit Links" Username and control (Owner) of the Project Info workset for just this purpose. It is not totally foolproof--but it helps
          when someone"accidently" moves a Linked model; even though we Pin the Linked models it still has happened occasionally.

Granted--someone can change their username to "Revit Links" and take ownership of the Project Info workset, but this has never happened (yet.)

I have also found that Publishing Coordinates may not "stick" after things have been changed--and you must go to Manage Links, click Save Positions, then STC,
          which then asks you to Save Positions again! ( as my foggy memory recalls.)
          Cliff B. Collins
          Registered Architect
          The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
          Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

Originally posted by cliff collins View Post
            We actually have a "Revit Links" Username and control (Owner) of the Project Info workset for just this purpose. It is not totally foolproof
            I like that idea. At the moment I keeping finding one person has assumed the control of project info. (I think because they're the model issuer and we use project information to update fields for model revision, issue date and status) and with the Survey Base Point and Project Base Point OOTB on project info. (I think) and STC seemingly not letting go of project info. (!?!) I think I'm in the position your method imposes... I like the idea, but at present I'm still struggling to fix the coords first - before using the method.

NB : I'm thinking I might move the survey and project base points to our "Datums" workset (grids and levels) - anyone ever done that?

Comment

Originally posted by cliff collins View Post
              We actually have a "Revit Links" Username and control (Owner) of the Project Info workset for just this purpose. It is not totally foolproof--but it helps
              when someone"accidently" moves a Linked model; even though we Pin the Linked models it still has happened occasionally.

Granted--someone can change their username to "Revit Links" and take ownership of the Project Info workset, but this has never happened (yet.)
              after using "Revit Links" Username, how do you take control (Owner) of the Project Info workset? manually or API or any trick? if manually then what's the purpose of using "Revit Links" Username?

Originally posted by snowyweston View Post
              NB : I'm thinking I might move the survey and project base points to our "Datums" workset (grids and levels) - anyone ever done that?
              survey / project base points are hardcoded into Project Info workset, don't think you can move to user's worksets, hope i'm wrong?

edit: looks like only project base point is hardcoded, you can still move survey point to user's workset, not quite understand why?
              Last edited by Ning Zhou; August 3, 2012, 10:05 PM.

Comment

"after using "Revit Links" Username, how do you take control (Owner) of the Project Info workset? manually or API or any trick? if manually then what's the purpose of using "Revit Links" Username?"

STC without relinquishing that workset ( project info )
                Cliff B. Collins
                Registered Architect
                The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
                Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

right, right, as simple as that, thanks Cliff, Friday?

Comment

I have the same problem here.
                    We have a Master file into which I have linked our dozen project files. They have been moved, rotated and lifted into their positions and then the coordinates Published to them. Save file.
                    If I then Remove the link and immediately link it back in again via Shared Coordinates, I get the "Linked Sites in the linked model..." dialog. Not right.
                    I am also finding that it is not consistent: Sometimes the above does work and I do not get the error dialog. But if I go to to one of the working files and link in the master file, or another working file, then I do get the error dialog.
                    A user posting elsewhere stated they found that their Survey Point had moved slightly - instead of having values of 0,0,0, it had -1,2,0 or similar. When they reset the values their problem was solved. I tried that but it did not work here.
                    I've also heard that a file's shared coordinates system can become corrupted. A fix it to create a new project from the delivered Autodesk template; to link in the bad file Origin to Origin; then Publish Coordinates to that file; Save and Quit. Then go back to the project file and start again. I've tried this and it works - sometimes.

How are you progressing snowyweston? Any luck?

Comment