Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twiceroadsfool
    replied
    It works fine, aside from the duplicated and conflicting standards. I prefer this workflow from the Open, Copy, and Paste since it teaches people not to Copy and Paste, LOL. But it means there also has to be control over those files, and the libraries, to make sure this stuff doesnt happen.

In one case someone had just rotated a Detail Components definition 90 degrees, but doing so removed a ton of dimensions in the typical details. Well, it doesnt throw that warning on import, it just tells you it cant do it...

Leave a comment:

• Ben-May
    replied
    I have had a similar problem with Insert Views from File. I am now telling users not to use that workflow, which with our library is a good thing anyway because it is unlikely someone will actually require an entire sheet of details from the library resulting in a few details being used and a number of redundant ones probably being left unused in the project...

I had Autodesk involved looking at the problem, but in some cases the sheet simply wouldnt import, and in one case the entire project became corrupted (we found this through the journal file) we didnt get a 100% confirmed answer, but it seemed to be conflicting project standards or families between the library and the project file which corrupted the file

Autodesk was able to fix the corrupted file by deleting the corrupt elements. I have the feeling there needs to be some updates done to the "Insert from File" code

Leave a comment:

• Alex Cunningham
    replied
    Thank guys I check into this stuff. The views were created from an outside source.

Leave a comment:

• Ian.Kidston
    replied
    I had a similar sort of problem a few years back when running the upgrade.bat file to automatically upgrade all of my families. It would run along smoothly and then suddenly crash as it struck a file that wouldn't upgrade.
    In every instance the family in question was one which I had grabbed online somewhere rather than any family created in house. Never actually discovered what caused the crash as for the most part they were families I rarely, if ever used and had been downloaded before I understood the importance of a well built family and i simply moved them out of the upgrade path and finally deleted them altogether.
    Are the errant drafting views ones which have been created in house? If not, I would look to see if there is any hidden junk (parts of old cad files etc) in the view.

Leave a comment:

• Twiceroadsfool
    replied
    I havent had a problem related to upgrading, but ive had a bunch of problems using Insert from File > Insert Views. The tool works perfectly, unless there are one of a few thigns present in the views. DWG style definitions conflicting with the destination project, detail component definitions conflicting with the ones in the project, etc. Either of those will make it throw up the "Cannot import..." error, and cancel it.

As a test, clear out all of the Imported Objects styles in the project, and delete every DC (in a detached copy) and see if it works.

Leave a comment:

• Alex Cunningham
    started a topic Upgrading Issue

Upgrading Issue

Ok, as of right now all my content creation has been done in 2010. The reason for this is we have a few projects in our office that are not going to be upgraded.

I am having an issue with my "Typical Detail Library" This library consits of a 2010 project that has a ton of drafting views in it.

I had a drafter come to me today and said that he wasn't able to copy in the typical detail sheets from the library. I proceeded to follow him to his desk and verify that he was doing the copying process correctly and he was. Like he said he was getting and error and it would not let any of he drafting views be copied. It just stops the import process completly.

I then went into trouble shooting mode. Why is it not working. Ok... so I made a copy of the library and opened it in 2011 then saved it. I then tried to copy the views from the 2011 library to the 2010 library. I get the same error. I then proceeded to copy each sheet of details one at a time, Sheet 1, 3 and 5 copy correctly. Sheet 2, 3 get the error. I then proceed to try each view one at a time. I find that 3 of my dfrating views will give me the error. Simple I delete these views from the library and tell the drafter to copy the library file. This gets him going again only losing 3 details. But I feel this could be the whole library someday.

I tested copying the library from a 2010 project from the 2010 library and everything works fine. :banghead:

I start to dig in a little deeper into why 3 drafting views became corrupt... I have no idea why and still dont. There is nothing special in the drafting view that differs from other views. I will test a little deeper and remove things one by one untill I find the issue.

A strange thing did happen though. When the project gets upgraded to 2011 it changes my "wide lines" in view to display as blue, but nowhere else in the project have the settings changed. Object Styles, overides, no where.

Has anybody came across this issue when upgrading a project before? I am worried that my libraries wont upgrade smoothly and this will cause problems in the future. :banghead:

Any advice?