Model In-place - assign to subcategory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Model In-place - assign to subcategory

I am trying to find a way to assign a model In-place element to a subcategory to help with visiblility control, but have not found a way to do this. Is this possible? Thanks for your help

When you start the in-place element you should get a popup asking about which subcategory you want to use. If it's already made, edit the element and at the top of the home tab you will see an icon with a yellow folder (same as in the family editor) that will let you set the category.

the better solution is to create a family and load it into your project. If there is any chance at all that you will use it again a family is a much better way to go.
    Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
    BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Comment

Thank you for your reply, but I still cannot see away to assign it to a sub-category. Only the main category is an option. I am attaching screen shots of the "family category and Parameter" and the "object styles" dialog box. I must be missing something.
      Attached Files

Comment

First, you'll need to create the new sub category (if it doesn't exist already).

Edit the in place family like Chad suggested. Then, hit the Manage tab in the ribbon. There, on the left, you will see Object Styles. Open that.

Now, you will see all the categories in the model. On the bottom right, you'll see Modify Subcategories. Hit New. Another box will open. Name the sub category, and make it a subcategory of the proper category. Hit okay a few times. You now have a sub category made.

Now, simply select the in place family (you must still be in edit mode) and, in the properties, under Identity Data, you'll see a subcategory drop down. Your new subcategory should be in the list.
        Last edited by dzatto; June 14, 2012, 04:55 PM.
        Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Pashcal View Post
          Thank you for your reply, but I still cannot see away to assign it to a sub-category. Only the main category is an option. I am attaching screen shots of the "family category and Parameter" and the "object styles" dialog box. I must be missing something.
          misread it - sorry :hide: Dan's got it covered.
          Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
          BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Comment

Thanks Dan - just needed to find where to make the change....

Comment

You can actually assign seperate pieces of geometry in the in-place faimly to differnt subcategories if you need that level of control.
              Jeff Hanson
              Sr. Subject Matter Expert
              Autodesk, Revit - User Experience

Comment

Just FYI, you don't need to be in edit mode (for the inplace family) to create a subcategory. I just told you that way because you had to edit the family to apply the subcategory anyway. You can add the subcategories from the project environment the same way.
                Dan

Comment

Originally posted by dzatto View Post
                  You can add the subcategories from the project environment the same way.
                  I don't understand what you mean by you can assign subcategories from the project environment? Do mind elaborating? Thanks

Comment

Yeah, that was confusing now that I reread it. :hide:

What I meant was, in my first post I had you create the subcategories AFTER you started editing the in place family. You don't really need to do that. You can add a subcategory through the object styles any time. Whether you are editing the family or not.

Of course, you'll then need to edit the in place family to apply the new subcategory.
                    Dan

Comment