Offset Lock ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offset Lock ?

Does anybody know what it does or use the lock check box next to offset imput box.
    Would be nice if it held the offset as default for the next time you came back to the pick / offset command, but its not the case.
    Mark Balsom

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

I'm not seeing the "lock check box" you speak of?

Comment

It doesnt Lock the offset, it just automatically Padlocks the line, when you use Pick Lines. I use it in the family editor religiously. Why pick the reference plane and then click the padlock when you can check the Lock Box and have at it?
      Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
      @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
        It doesnt Lock the offset, it just automatically Padlocks the line, when you use Pick Lines. I use it in the family editor religiously. Why pick the reference plane and then click the padlock when you can check the Lock Box and have at it?
        Thanks Aaron

With your post and a quick google and this from ADSK now I understand.

From ADSK.

Lock check box unavailable when creating lines
        Issue
        You want to know why the Lock check box in the Options bar is unavailable when you are creating lines in a view.
        Solution
        The Lock command is designed to be used with the Pick Lines command when creating lines. If the Pick Lines command is selected and the Offset value is set to 0'-0", the Lock check box will be available. You can use the Lock command to apply a lock to the picked object from which the line is created.

If the Offset for the Pick Lines command is set to a value other than zero, the lock option will be unavailable, because it is not possible to lock a line to an object that is offset from the line when the line is created. If you want to lock the line to an object that is offset from the line, you can lock the dimension between the two objects after the line has been created.

This only works with Zero set as offset then it locks the pick line or ref.plane automatically,brilliant !!
        I have always tried to use it in a totally different way. No wonder it never worked. :banghead:

Actually very misleading, it is really just "Auto lock pick" and has no relation to "offset"
        Attached Files
        Last edited by mark b; March 4, 2011, 06:58 AM.
        Mark Balsom

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Comment

Okay, not to get off topic here, but I sense a learning opportunity. Explain the benefits of locking the RP in family editor? I never really lock anything. lol
          Dan

Comment

It locks it at the offset specified as well, right? I agree with Aaron, when it comes to families and offsetting lines from ref planes I always have lock box checked. I kind of wish it was on by default in the family editor...
            Chad Koscinski | Architect

Comment

Originally posted by Chadwick17 View Post
              It locks it at the offset specified as well, right? I agree with Aaron, when it comes to families and offsetting lines from ref planes I always have lock box checked. I kind of wish it was on by default in the family editor...
              Nope, unless I'm doing it wrong.

AHHH, I get it now. That's why it only works on 0. Like Aaron said, it doesn't lock the offset. I had to see it to understand it I guess.
              Last edited by dzatto; March 4, 2011, 09:35 PM.
              Dan

Comment

No. When im sketching lines, i lock them TO the reference planes. So instead of Sketch > Lock, Sketch > Lock... i just put the sketch Draw tool on Pick Lines, and check the LOCK box. Now when i click the reference plane, my sketch line is automatically locked to it. So i dont have to manually click four locks for a rectangle.
                Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
                @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

No. When im sketching lines, i lock them TO the reference planes. So instead of Sketch > Lock, Sketch > Lock... i just put the sketch Draw tool on Pick Lines, and check the LOCK box. Now when i click the reference plane, my sketch line is automatically locked to it. So i dont have to manually click four locks for a rectangle.
                  Now it makes even more sense. I only noticed it when creating a reference plane using the create similar command. So I was creating reference planes. Now I understand it works for lines. That makes wayyyy more sense.
                  Dan

Comment

Right. I don't know what I was thinking. I could have sworn I've made door/window families like this. Check lock box/set offset/pick ref plane. Then when moving the ref plane, the lines would move at the locked offset. But I just tried it in a generic family and of course it doesn't work that way....neurons misfiring I guess...
                    Chad Koscinski | Architect

Comment