Door Tags/Schedules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door Tags/Schedules

With regards to Door Tags, I edited the door tag and edited the labels. I added a Mark (the door number) and the type mark (the door type). For both of these I added a prefix, but when I developed the door schedules in revit, it does not include the prefix in the schedule. Does anyone know how I can get the prefix to show up in the schedule?
    Thanks,
    Debbie

Hi Debbie,

I just did a quick test and it all worked as expected.

As a suggestion, edit the door tag family - save as different name - add the prefix in the tag - save and load the new tag into your project. Now tag the doors making sure you select the newly created tag type.
    Ian Kidston
    http://allextensions.com.au

Comment

But to make it show up in the schedule: I don't think you can.
      Only way I can think of is creating a separate column with the prefixes typed entered as a textual parameter.
      Martijn de Riet
      Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
      MdR Advies
      Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Originally posted by mdradvies View Post
        But to make it show up in the schedule: I don't think you can.
        Only way I can think of is creating a separate column with the prefixes typed entered as a textual parameter.

Totally correct - one can create a prefix in the tag, which shows on the view, but does not schedule. Thanks for correcting this Martijn.
        Ian Kidston

Comment

Would be a nice wishlist item btw...

EDIT:
          Come to think of it, I don't see why you would want to do this. What are the prefixes? And why not incorporate them in the parameter value?
          If the prefixes are part of the defining "code" of the door it doesn't make sense to put it into a prefix rather then the value itself.
          If the prefix isn't part of the defining "code", why want it in the schedules?
          mdradvies
          "Mark Twain"
          Last edited by mdradvies; May 4, 2012, 11:20 AM.
          Martijn de Riet
          MdR Advies

Comment

Indeed - because what's the point in having a prefix if it doesn't schedule ... thanks ADesk - if you price your product and don't print out the prefix currency symbol ($) can I pay you in Zim$ :laugh:
            "To make something foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete fool."

Bryan

Comment

Originally posted by mdradvies View Post
              Would be a nice wishlist item btw...
              Wishlist item be dammed thats a bug that ought to be fixed immediately. For heavens sake the prefix is placed in the view!!!
              Ian Kidston

Comment

Wow dudes... Been thinking about this some more:

After careful consideration, I don't really see it as stupid. Imvho the way he's setting up the tag is weird.
                I can see two possible uses for the prefixes in the tags:

1. For instance, building number. Tag will be: <building number> <Type Mark> <Mark>
                In these kind of cases the prefix should be part of the tagged elements properties = a separate parameter.
                2. For instance, textual denominator to easily identify the tag as being for a door. For instance: <D> <Type Mark> <Mark>
                In this case, the prefix should NOT be part of the schedule since it's not related to the element but just a graphical aid.

Prefixes do NOT apply to an object as a property of said object. A schedule is there to review element properties in a certain way (table style). A tag prefix is the same for ALL elements tagged. I can give a Multi Category schedule the prefix "MdR is a Revit GOD" and tag each and every element in my model with it. Has nothing to do with the element properties. So shouldn't show up in the schedule. So IMHO, this is intended and correct behaviour.
                EDIT: Don't forget, the prefix is a part and property of the TAG, not the ELEMENT being tagged. As such, it's completely logical it doesn't show up in the element schedule.

So, whilst I have no problem calling Autodesk stupid, in this case I am not so sure it's a Revit shortcoming. My guess is there's a misuse of prefixes here to avoid having to create a custom SP and use this in a tag...

mdradvies
                "Mark Twain"
                Last edited by mdradvies; May 4, 2012, 11:36 AM.
                Martijn de Riet
                MdR Advies

Comment

Never noticed before. I dont use prefixes a great deal but when I do I use Kiwicodes Element Renumber addin. Adds prefix and or suffix to mark parameter, works like a charm. Said it before and will say it again, best app. on the market and I still can't believe its free.
                  Attached Files
                  mark b
                  Last edited by mark b; May 4, 2012, 01:03 PM.
                  Mark Balsom

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Comment

Hi,

it may stem from how we used to work in the (looks around sheepishly) dark AutoCAD days.

Basically doors used to be prefixed with a D, fittings with an F, Windows with a W, View Panels with a V etc.

In the case of multiple buildings the tag would be say AD and BD (Building A, Building B, [Door]).

What we would like is to see what we have on the plan showing on the schedule.

@ mrdradvies - your point that the prefix is part and property of the TAG versus the element : I don't follow the reasons why one would do that and what benefit it has.

Obviously the quick work around is simply to manually number each element with the desired letters in front. We just thought that the pre-fix in the TAG would replace that.
                    "To make something foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete fool."

Bryan

Comment