Foundation Plans and Slab Edges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foundation Plans and Slab Edges

First, my aplogies for trying to explain this. I can't quite get the wording correct so it may be hard to understand, but here it goes.

I'm not sure if this can be done easily. Take a look at the attached image.

In the blue areas, I created a grade beam family with the 45 degree areas on each end for a thickened edge. I set each one up with a visibility parameter for the area where there is only one condition.

The thing I'm having trouble is trying to do this on the corners (red areas). I'm using slab edges to create my perimeter beams. Is there a way to control how they miter at the corners? I'm guessing not.

I also have an issue in the blue areas of the slab edge lines continuing through the grade beam edge. In the screen shot, I made all those lines invisible and created the edges between the thickened grade beam and the slab edge with detail lines. Kind of a clumsy way to do it.

Is there another more parametric way?
    Attached Files
    Dan

Could you post the non-edited version, without the detail lines and invisible lines, for reference?
    Martijn de Riet
    Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
    MdR Advies
    Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

If you havent read this post, it is a good starting point

http://bimandbeam.typepad.com/bim_be...dge-hidde.html

But IMO, slab edges suck.. They are ok if you want to model them just for a sectional view. But they dont have enough control in plan view, they cant be Tagged(why??) and they can only be scheduled by category (for some reason they wont schedule multi-category)
      Revit BLOGGAGE

http://www.revic.org.au

Comment

Originally posted by mdradvies View Post
        Could you post the non-edited version, without the detail lines and invisible lines, for reference?
        unedited version attached

Originally posted by Ben-May View Post
        If you havent read this post, it is a good starting point

http://bimandbeam.typepad.com/bim_be...dge-hidde.html

But IMO, slab edges suck.. They are ok if you want to model them just for a sectional view. But they dont have enough control in plan view, they cant be Tagged(why??) and they can only be scheduled by category (for some reason they wont schedule multi-category)
        That is a cool trick. I just made my beams display with hidden lines in the object style itself. I'm running RAC, not RST. Does that matter if I want to do that to my ini file?
        Attached Files
        Dan

Comment

Ok, for the "blue areas":
          These are beams and not slab edges? Can't you just join them with the slab edges? And if not, are they the same material?

For the red areas:
          This cannot be done using slab edges. A slab edge is in essential a sweep of a profile and therefor has always the same section shape. Can't you do a save as on your beams and rebuild them with just one 45degrees angle?
          Martijn de Riet
          MdR Advies

Comment

Originally posted by mdradvies View Post
            Ok, for the "blue areas":
            These are beams and not slab edges? Can't you just join them with the slab edges? And if not, are they the same material?

For the red areas:
            This cannot be done using slab edges. A slab edge is in essential a sweep of a profile and therefor has always the same section shape. Can't you do a save as on your beams and rebuild them with just one 45degrees angle?
            Geeze I feel dumb. I use that all the time with my slabs, but totally spaced on it. It's been a long day. lol

It still puts a thin line there, though. I can't figure out what it is. Check it out.....

As for the corners, are you suggesting I forget slab edges all together and just use a beam family instead? I guess I could do that. The problem with that is I show my brick ledges using my slab edge profiles. I have 3 different ledge conditions, so that would be a lot of beams joined together. Probably not a good idea.
            Attached Files
            Dan

Comment

I believe the ini setting works for Revit Arch as well..
              Revit BLOGGAGE

http://www.revic.org.au

Comment

I don't think it's going to work Martijn. When I put the slab edge hidden line back to <by categor> so I can join the edge and the grade beams, there is now a line in the corners that I can't get rid of. I'll look into just creating my own perimeter beam family, but for now I'll just leave it the way I have it with detail lines. I'll need spend some time figuring this one out.

Thanks for the info everyone. :whiskey:
                Dan

Comment

Originally posted by dzatto View Post
                  I don't think it's going to work Martijn. When I put the slab edge hidden line back to <by categor> so I can join the edge and the grade beams, there is now a line in the corners that I can't get rid of. I'll look into just creating my own perimeter beam family, but for now I'll just leave it the way I have it with detail lines. I'll need spend some time figuring this one out.

Thanks for the info everyone. :whiskey:
                  Dan, could you post a project file with this setup? I have some ideas about it that I would like to test...
                  Martijn de Riet
                  MdR Advies

Comment

Sure thing. I took Friday off, so let me get all the carp that's piled up on my desk squared away and I'll post something a little later.
                    Dan

Comment