Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unlocked Wall Layers & Quantities

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Unlocked Wall Layers & Quantities

    Be warned! Seems like walls with unlocked layers report incorrect infomation in material takeoff schedules. The internal layer is the structural core layer and seems to calculate its area and adds the base extension of the external layer to its area. :crazy:
    Blows the quantities out just a little !!
    Ran a test in Roombook and it suffers the same problem.
    Attached Files
    Mark Balsom

    If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

    #2
    Originally posted by mark b View Post
    Be warned! Seems like walls with unlocked layers report incorrect infomation in material takeoff schedules. The internal layer is the structural core layer and seems to calculate its area and adds the base extension of the external layer to its area. :crazy:
    Blows the quantities out just a little !!
    Ran a test in Roombook and it suffers the same problem.
    thx for sharing. this is just one of the reason to give up using coumpounded walls. The join
    tool also is not a good idea if join a floor that bite only some layers of a wall. Now i do a wall for core and 2 for the the 2 core faces. better for quntities . better for filters. better for total number
    of wall types. Indeed, more clicks, and more smarter family that are wall hosted needed.

    Comment


      #3
      errr - doesnt the screenshot report the correct areas?.......you're internal layer hasnt changed size - only the Masonary layer has, as correctly reported in the schedule
      Alex Page
      RevitWorks Ltd
      Check out our Door Factory, the door maker add-in for Revit

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Alex Page View Post
        errr - doesnt the screenshot report the correct areas?.......you're internal layer hasnt changed size - only the Masonary layer has, as correctly reported in the schedule
        Internal Wall Should be 4m² in both images not 8m².
        Yep just ran it through my calculator to confirm
        2x2=4 2x4=8

        I am assuming it is a core boundry thing. The internal wall is set between the core boundry layers, the masonry and cavity are outside.
        Last edited by mark b; February 25, 2011, 02:25 AM.
        Mark Balsom

        If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

        Comment


          #5
          Oh - my mistake - my cheap calculator got it wrong (seriously - I was comparing the highlighted 8sq.m scedules to each other)
          Interesting that the Masonry Layer is reporting correctly thou...
          Alex Page
          RevitWorks Ltd
          Check out our Door Factory, the door maker add-in for Revit

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Alex Page View Post
            Interesting that the Masonry Layer is reporting correctly thou...
            Yeah you would almost expect it to be the other way round, as the core boundry is constrained to levels. Very strange !!
            Mark Balsom

            If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by mark b View Post
              Yeah you would almost expect it to be the other way round, as the core boundry is constrained to levels. Very strange !!
              Could you check the properties? I think you will find an offset for the wall height here too. The elements within the core boundary calculate between the lowest and highest offset. The elements outside off the core boundary calculate their respected true values (Cavity layer also reports correct in both instances)
              Martijn de Riet
              Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
              MdR Advies
              Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by mdradvies View Post
                Could you check the properties? I think you will find an offset for the wall height here too. The elements within the core boundary calculate between the lowest and highest offset. The elements outside off the core boundary calculate their respected true values (Cavity layer also reports correct in both instances)
                This is a typical brick veneer timber frame wall in Australia the core (structural wall) being the timber frame. The pitching line for roof's is the core layer between internal layer and cavity layer. I have tried every combination inside and outside of core and materials never report as they should, and this example is how I want the wall setup.
                Would really like to get this reporting properly in material takeoff.
                Can you see a problem with the way this wall is configured ?
                Attached Files
                Mark Balsom

                If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

                Comment


                  #9
                  No, but like I thought: unlocking and moving the Masonry gives the TOTAL wall an Base Extension off -2000 in your properties, thus explaining the 8m2 in the material takeoff for the interior layer. I'm guessing it's not smart enough to see the difference between layers here.

                  I'm guessing this is to be used as a visibility thing only (for those of us not really using the I in BIM)
                  I think you're better off modeling the wall layers seperately, sorry.
                  Martijn de Riet
                  Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
                  MdR Advies
                  Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

                  Comment

                  Related Topics

                  Collapse

                  Working...
                  X