Curved Railingl In Elevation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curved Railingl In Elevation

I have to create a railing that curves in elevation (like the attached pic). Is this even possible using the railing tool? Or, do I need to create a GM family?
    Attached Files
    Dan

If I didn't want to create a separate family, rightly or wrongly, I would probably use a beam system, (same as what markb does for the picket fences) which would cope with most of it. The curved top rail - in place family.

Scheduling, if needed, could be an issue however.
    Ian Kidston
    http://allextensions.com.au

Comment

Assuming that it's a "one of a kind" piece of rail with a fixed size, I'd create it in the family editor - Would only take a few minutes if you make it non-parametric, and would probably end up taking less time than hacking beam-systems, curtain-walls, and what else system tools that could be (ab)used for the purpose. :beer:
      Klaus Munkholm
      "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Comment

Yep, it's a one off. I was thinking family editor as well. I just wanted to be sure it couldn't be done with a railing.
        Dan

Comment

Maybe a curtain wall with profile edits?
          Cliff B. Collins
          Registered Architect
          The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
          Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

Would go for the family editor too...
            Probably just a simple, non-parametric one. If I had the time, I'd go and conjure up a parametric version. Just for the fun of it.:laugh:
            Martijn de Riet
            Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
            MdR Advies
            Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Originally posted by Munkholm View Post
              Assuming that it's a "one of a kind" piece of rail with a fixed size, I'd create it in the family editor - Would only take a few minutes if you make it non-parametric, and would probably end up taking less time than hacking beam-systems, curtain-walls, and what else system tools that could be (ab)used for the purpose. :beer:
              Agreed. Its totally the only real way to do it and get it right. if you really want to go nuts you can nest in the vertical pieces, so you can still count them and schedule length. Remember that Curtain Walls end up as segments (not arcs) which might be an issue if you show it in elevation, and want it to really be curved and not just *close enough.*

As for hacking system families to make the Railing... I mena, you can, but whats the benefit?
              Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
              @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Yep, created a simple family. Took all of a few minutes. :thumbsup:
                Dan

Comment

For stuff like this, this blog post from Luke Johnson is very helpful.
                  Michael
                  Canberra, Australia

Comment