Phases and Rooms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phases and Rooms

I'm figuring out how to use Phasing. Therefore, I made a small drawing. Created three plan views: Existing, New, Demolished. Put up a rectangle of walls in phase Existing. Placed a room in this rectangle. Then I switched to phase 'New Construction'. Divided the rectangle in half and placed two rooms and a couple of doors. So far, so good.

Now I would like to see the different phases in the different views I made. Activated view 'Existing', set the Phase to 'Existing' and Phase Filter to 'Show All'. Looks OK. Activated view 'New', set the Phase to 'New Construction' and Phase Filter to 'Show Previous + New'. Also looks good.

Then for the last view, 'Demolished', set the Phase to 'New Construction' and Phase Filter to 'Show Previous + Demo'. Not good. The new doors don't show, but the two new rooms DO show? The Phase Filter for 'new' stuff is set to 'Not Displayed'. So why are the new doors hidden (as expected), but _not_ the new rooms?

Simon

You actually created a "Demo" Phase? You don't have to do this.

Demo is actually shown as New Construction showing Existing and demo for the phase filter. Items that are demo'd should be demo'd in the New Construction Phase...
    Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

Comment

There is an article on phasing along with a small sample project you can take a look at posted to the wikihelp. it may be worth taking a look at to see how to set up basic phasing in a project.

Example Project to Illustrate Phasing - WikiHelp
      Jeff Hanson
      Sr. Subject Matter Expert
      Autodesk, Revit - User Experience

Comment

Rooms do not span phases. They exist for one Phase only, regardless of Phase Filter. Welcome to the suck. LOL.
        Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
        @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
          Rooms do not span phases. They exist for one Phase only, regardless of Phase Filter. Welcome to the suck. LOL.
          LOL...no kidding....JEFF!! FIX THIS!... :P
          Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

Comment

Originally posted by MPwuzhere View Post
            You actually created a "Demo" Phase? You don't have to do this.

Demo is actually shown as New Construction showing Existing and demo for the phase filter. Items that are demo'd should be demo'd in the New Construction Phase...
            Common practise in Holland, we consider Demo to be a Phase...
            Simon, Rooms are weird like that. They will show up no matter what you do, unless you turn them off in the VG Overrides. They don't respond to Phase Filters.
            Martijn de Riet
            Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
            MdR Advies
            Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
              Or, as they say in the military, Embrace The Suck. :laugh:
              Dan

Comment

Originally posted by mdradvies View Post
                Common practise in Holland, we consider Demo to be a Phase....
                It was that way in the office I worked in as well and I still kind of consider it as a phase in the construction/documentation process. Just when working with the tools in Revit you can't really think of it this way. It is much easier if you thnink of "demo" as the first action of the current (new construction) phase.
                Jeff Hanson
                Sr. Subject Matter Expert
                Autodesk, Revit - User Experience

Comment

Demo isn't a phase, it's part of a phase's documentation. If you think of having the full cycle of a building in one model. You have Original Construction, then Remodel #1, Remodel #2. Would you really have 5 phases? Original Construction, Demo #1, Remodel #1, Demo #2, Remodel #2? What information do you ADD during a Demo phase?

Rooms not spanning phases is actually a good thing if you've ever had to do tenant build out remodels. Can you imagine having to set the phase properties of all the rooms in a large Office Warehouse facility during a remodel?
                  .Carl - Architect, BIM Manager, Father, Husband, Coach, Player, Disc Tosser, Driver... not necessarily in that order.

Free Revit Chat | Cre8iveThings Blog | Live Architecture! | Past Live Architecture!

Comment

It doesnt matter if you consider Demo a phase or not. The tool doesnt really matter either.

According to Revit, Demo and New Work are both things that happen in a Phase, but the filters make it so it doesnt matter. So effectively, each Phase in revit is 2 phases. It doesnt matter if you like to make a Demolition "phase" or not.... EXCEPT in the one case of if you ever want to do a plan that shows the two actions together, something we do where there is only MINOR demolition. If you have to show THAT, the "seperate phase" thing really sucks.

And yes, it is HORRIBLE that Rooms dont span phases, although- having sat in several conversations with many people about it- actual implementation of the tool would be a basketcase to manage.

Does a change in area define a rooms "demolition?"
                    A change in perimeter?
                    A floor in the room getting deleted? Or Created?
                    Wall Joinery changing?

There are TONS of things to consider, but honestly it all needs to be defined in an (albeit complex) set of controls. We do a TON of renovation work, and its brutal that rooms that are existing cannot also show up in New Work. Sometimes it *really is* the same room, with minor variations. People with Revit Blinders on can say *BUT that makes it a different room!!!111!!!11!!!11omg* but its simply not true.

I have a conference room. It is next to an office. I decide to make the office one foot longer, the conference room one foot shorter. Those MIGHT very much be the same rooms after the fact. I demo a wall, and put a new wall. Now, MAYBE its a different room, MAYBE its not: The caveat there is USER DECISION. That conference room might be maintained through 4 phases of renovation.

And, we just did a complex 4 phased interior renovation, replete with swing spaces for tenants to occupy while their new spaces were built. Believe me, it SUCKS that rooms cant be multi phase and phase aware.
                    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
                    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment