This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

select by parameters/filters

Is there a tool in Revit that lets you define what it should select? For example - select all WALLS, or select all that isnt a WALL?

Also - I do not understand how the Revit's "layers" work - is there a way to control this? For example - I have a set of drawings that I had to explode into view coz it worked to slow (still is slow though) and I would like to select it all and define it as "reference" or sth like it so that I can hide it from plan, whats the best way to achieve that?

Originally posted by cath View Post
    Is there a tool in Revit that lets you define what it should select? For example - select all WALLS, or select all that isnt a WALL?
    Filter is not enough for you (Select all and that unmark what's not)? Or VG > Filters which is higher (but more complicated) level.
    Last edited by Peter Jirat; February 15, 2012, 10:29 AM.
    Peter Jirat

Comment

Also - I do not understand how the Revit's "layers" work - is there a way to control this? For example - I have a set of drawings that I had to explode into view coz it worked to slow (still is slow though) and I would like to select it all and define it as "reference" or sth like it so that I can hide it from plan, whats the best way to achieve that?
      1. Use select by crossing window and then the filter command. There are also commercial addons to filter more specifically.
      2. Dude, you're scaring me here... Are you saying you exploded a full scale dwg drawing in Revit? Cause that's about the worst you can do. Basically you just added a few hundred thousand dumb lines to your model. So undo or delete and stick to the links.
      Martijn de Riet
      Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
      MdR Advies
      Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

I would if it worked! But it works like a freakin turtle, no-can-do. Cant work so slow. With exploding it works a little bit faster (i still want to cry though, every move hurts

No, that's not quite what I expected with the select. I want sth like: --> Select all lines, that are "this" thick AND "this" color AND"this" type OR walls that are "this"....
        You know what I mean? Logical functions. Is it at all possible here? ArchiCAD has a "find and select" function which is exactly like this...
        Add-ons - as long as their paid - no way for me to be able to use them, I work in an office that's not gonna spend any more money on this soft (i hope

Comment

Let me give you (and your bosses) two pieces of advice:

1. If you try to use any kind of of software in a way it isn't supposed to or for a purpose it's not designed for IT IS NOT GOING TO FUNCTION PROPERLY
          You are dealing with these speed issues cause you (apperently) have massive amounts of cad imports in your project, and then exploded it too. If you want to do that, use autocad and stop waisting company time and money on a piece of equipment that won't work that way. You don't give a painter a hammer and expect him to do a nice paintjob with it.
          Try this: link the caddata in your project and unload if you don't need them. This should speed you up considerably. Best is to minimize the linking all together.

BTW: if this is all that important, your boss is kinda stupid if he doesn't pay 100 bucks on top of the 4.500,- he already spent to make you work much faster.
          However, you can setup filters to do exactly what you want (just not on those lines cause Revit isn't made for drawing lines). You just need to manually apply them each time.

2. If you have very limited dwg's imported and it's also not a big project I'm guessing your pc is way too slow to work with Revit. Buy something which can properly utilize the software (64bit, 12GB RAM, at least 2.7-2.8Ghz CPU speed).
          Last edited by mdradvies; February 15, 2012, 12:47 PM.
          Martijn de Riet
          Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
          MdR Advies
          Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

OK lets start with this: I have one simple 5-flat plan as a DWG file attached (imported, and I understand the link doesnt work so it doesnt auto-update this way). ONE. Works like hell...

PC is Dell Intel Core 2Quad 2,8
            4GB of RAM, 64-bit windows Vista...

Complicated DWGs have worked perfectly on my "******" Macbook core2duo 2.0 with 8GB of RAM...

I dont see where Revit has a problem. The thing is, we work with DWG files ALL THE TIME. I don't see how you can manage a project any other way. It is absolutely essential here in my country.
            It was also one of the core arguments pro-Revit and ArchiCAD-against when purchasing new software (I wasnt working here at that time), so I guess people here have been screwed up by the Revit Lobby pretty bad.
            They don't want to listen to this even... They still think they bought something that's gonna work with DWGs... So i guess it's gonna be hell of a party

And I agree with you on the first point, totally. I'd been trying to use Windows as an operating system for years, only to come to this conclusion too;-))

Comment

OK lets start with this: I have one simple 5-flat plan as a DWG file attached (imported, and I understand the link doesnt work so it doesnt auto-update this way). ONE. Works like hell...

PC is Dell Intel Core 2Quad 2,8
              4GB of RAM, 64-bit windows Vista...

Complicated DWGs have worked perfectly on my "******" Macbook core2duo 2.0 with 8GB of RAM...

I dont see where Revit has a problem. The thing is, we work with DWG files ALL THE TIME. I don't see how you can manage a project any other way. It is absolutely essential here in my country.
              It was also one of the core arguments pro-Revit and ArchiCAD-against when purchasing new software (I wasnt working here at that time), so I guess people here have been screwed up by the Revit Lobby pretty bad.
              They don't want to listen to this even... They still think they bought something that's gonna work with DWGs... So i guess it's gonna be hell of a party

And I agree with you on the first point, totally. I'd been trying to use Windows as an operating system for years, only to come to this conclusion too;-))
              note the 4GB vs 8GB RAM? Big diff for Revit especially if you have a million CAD objects in your model. I'm just sayin'
              I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

Comment

yeah sure, but come on! The PC isn't that bad...
                At least I dont think with these parameters it should work this bad with one little CAD drawing on Revit...

Comment

Oh and another thing - I dont intend to use Revit as a 2D-tool like Autocad, in fact, I am against all 2D-work, never worked much in Autocad, but used ArchiCAD to the fullest with -all -3D- BIM philosophy.
                  But the fact is - when we work we get these DWGs from people - electrical plans and so on - and need to update our plans, so I don't really see how I can do this without the DWG support here... How do YOU manage these issues then? No DWG at all? How do you make changed to the plans/views without it??

Comment

In all seriousness : Do you know anything about what Revit actually is and what it is designed to do?

Everything you've written so far would suggest not. I, like many others here, would love the opportunity to show you - but you've got to meet us half way.

Comment