This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mdradvies View Post
    ...That being said: I rarely issue "Demo"-drawings. You have existing, you have new: do the math.
    That´s probably why you´re getting away with it

Using 3 phases: Existing, Demo and New Phase, try this:
    • Set up a view to show Demo + New
    • Set up a view to show all 3 "Phases"
    Klaus Munkholm
    "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Comment

Originally posted by Ian.Kidston View Post
      As almost all of my work involves extensions and renovations, this is a problem which crops up quite a lot.
      ...Any Clues?
      Please let me know if I understood your scenario correctly. I have followed your instructions, and I cannot reproduce the problem. I think you are having problems with the way your views are set up. You mentioned in one of your posts that you were using Show All. I don't understand why you use Show All. I use Show complete, instead. Please look at these 3 images. This is how I set up my views when I need to show Existing, Proposed (new), and Demo.

I have added some dimensions and some letters to help understanding the location of the items. In the 1-Existing view there is a window in segment C. In the 3-Proposed plan, that window is demolished, and a new wall in segment A is added. Then a double door is added, occupying segments B and C, going from a jamb in a new wall to a jamb in an existing wall, passing through the segment C which used to be occupied by the window. I don't see any problem in any of the views.
      Attached Files
      Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

Comment

Originally posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
        Please let me know if I understood your scenario correctly. I have followed your instructions, and I cannot reproduce the problem. I think you are having problems with the way your views are set up. You mentioned in one of your posts that you were using Show All. I don't understand why you use Show All. I use Show complete, instead. Please look at these 3 images. This is how I set up my views when I need to show Existing, Proposed (new), and Demo.

I have added some dimensions and some letters to help understanding the location of the items. In the 1-Existing view there is a window in segment C. In the 3-Proposed plan, that window is demolished, and a new wall in segment A is added. Then a double door is added, occupying segments B and C, going from a jamb in a new wall to a jamb in an existing wall, passing through the segment C which used to be occupied by the window. I don't see any problem in any of the views.
        Hi Alfredo,

I sometimes have Show All filter on the existing Phase - sometimes Show complete. As it is the existing phase, from what I can see these filters are completely interchangable for this phase. I have quickly swapped them in a couple of different jobs and there is no impact on the view with either set.

The problem here is always with the in fill of a previously demolished window or door which is surrounded by an existing wall. If a new wall abuts the existing wall and a new door or window is inserted in a position where it cuts the new wall, the old wall, and PART of the infill for the previously demo'd window - error occurs.

In your scenario above, the window infill is FULLY subsumed by the new door. The error only occurs when the infill is partly subsumed.

It might sound like a lot of different conditions need to be met to create the circumstance for the error, but with my work, this sort of scenario might happen 5 to 10 times a year. Some years ago, I figured out the work around as noted earlier, (host the element completely within either the old wall or the new and then nudge it into place. In some instances I have had to artifically extend a wall to get the element in, nudge it into place and then drag the wall back to its correct legnth), and so it is more a curiosity question as to why Revit fails to handle the part subsuming of an infill when the new element spans across different phase walls. If the demo'd element is fully subsumed, there is no problem. If there is no adjacent wall cut by the element which is a different phase, likewise, there is no problem.

Cheers,

Ian
        Ian Kidston
        http://allextensions.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by Ian.Kidston View Post

The problem here is always with the in fill of a previously demolished window or door which is surrounded by an existing wall. If a new wall abuts the existing wall and a new door or window is inserted in a position where it cuts the new wall, the old wall, and PART of the infill for the previously demo'd window - error occurs.

In your scenario above, the window infill is FULLY subsumed by the new door. The error only occurs when the infill is partly subsumed.

I am placing the new door at all possible locations in relation to that segment C where the window was demolished and infilled, and the error does not occur.

Comment

I am placing the new door at all possible locations in relation to that segment C where the window was demolished and infilled, and the error does not occur.
            Interesting.

Try moving the window closer to segment A. Do not demo the wall in segment B, add a new wall starting a Segment A. Then Place the door so that it fall partly within the new wall starting at segment A and partly in the infill panel of the demo'd window.
            Last edited by Ian.Kidston; February 5, 2011, 05:41 AM. Reason: make a bit clearer
            Ian Kidston

Comment

I just did all those steps, and the views still show correctly. There was a warning at some point this time, but the result continued to be correct in all 3 views.

Comment

I just did all those steps, and the views still show correctly. There was a warning at some point this time, but the result continued to be correct in all 3 views.
                Ok, becoming more interesting still.

My Typical Phase setup for views is:

Existing Phase - Show All / Complete
                Demo in New Construction Phase (but have tried separate phase) Show previous + demo
                New Construction - Show Complete

edit: I just had another look at your screen shots and it seems our settings match. I can produce this error every single time and you can't - weird

Revit Architecture 64 bit
                OS Win7 64bit
                Last edited by Ian.Kidston; February 5, 2011, 05:56 AM. Reason: additional info
                Ian Kidston

Comment

Well, that is very strange. Your filters and phases settings seem to be the same ones I am showing.

I use Revit Arch. 2011, 32 bits, on Windows XP, build # 20100326_1700.

Comment

We do a lot of remodeling and addition work as well, and we also run into this problem, probably at least once or twice on every job. It's been that way for as long as I can remember. We also do similar tricks to what Ian describes to get it to work, sometimes successfully, sometimes not so much.

It kind of seems like Revit voodoo when it happens and when it doesn't, but Ian's the first person I've heard articulate it and dig into it a little more.

Comment

At least we now have some element of difference with the OS and version of Revit.
                      As others have been able to recreate the problem, I am now thinking it is a 64bit issue. I don't have a 32 bit system left to test on, but I will go and check it on my other computer which runs a slightly different flavour of Win 7 64bit.

IRU69 are you running 64bit?
                      Ian Kidston

Comment