Recovery Project Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recovery Project Question

I just had a display driver go out, then recover, which crashed Revit. I save a recovery file, just in case.
    I opened the file I was working on when it crashed, and it turns out I only lost one of my changes, so I decided to just keep the original file. However, I noticed my original file size, and all the backups, are ~48M. The recovery file is only ~29M. Why??
    Dan

Originally posted by dzatto View Post
    I just had a display driver go out, then recover, which crashed Revit. I save a recovery file, just in case.
    I opened the file I was working on when it crashed, and it turns out I only lost one of my changes, so I decided to just keep the original file. However, I noticed my original file size, and all the backups, are ~48M. The recovery file is only ~29M. Why??
    dunno about the size diff but I have this same problem occasionally. Display driver error, black screen in Revit, Do I want to save a Recovery File: Yes and Revit goes blink and is gone. Restart Revit, I've always opened the recovered file, do a STC, shut down the recovery file and start a new local from the central. I've never lost anything during this process.
    I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

Comment

So I'm not the only one, good. I don't STC though. I'm a one man shop.
      Oh well, it all seems to be there. I was just wondering about the file size difference. It's weird.
      Dan

Comment

I don't STC though. I'm a one man shop
        listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-etc
        I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

Comment

File size difference is likely due to the same feature that will double or triple the size of a family file for no reason at all. Try Save As and change the main project file's name and see if the same file difference happens.
          Developer at Anguleris BIMsmith Marketplace.
          Previously at Sumex Design for ARCAT.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Jones View Post
            listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-listen to Aaron-etc
            Who also explained this behaviour...
            It's indeed a Save As thing... As I understand it Revit stores "undos", edits to the model, temp dimensions, relations, and all kinds of crap inside the model. It's sort of a hogger this way... This bloats the size but doesn't actually "do" anything. Crash&burn in this case is no more then a "save as" followed by a forced shut down to prevent bad stuff from happening to your file integrity, mkaaay....
            So this is expected behaviour and the same as when doing a "save as", without having the need to screw something up first. Don't worry: filesize will bloat again in a matter of hours and a few regular saves. (hence it's not feasible to do a save as every time instead of a regular save. It will be temorary at best)
            Martijn de Riet
            Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
            MdR Advies
            Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Jones View Post
              No, I don't want to and you can't make me. Pffffftttttt.

What's the point of worksets and such when you are the only one using the file?
              Dan

Comment

No, I don't want to and you can't make me. Pffffftttttt.

What's the point of worksets and such when you are the only one using the file?
                Its not really about using worksets. It is much more about how revit backs up files when using a local/central model. If you use a model with work-sharing enabled you have your local back ups and your central back ups rather than just having one set. I had a time that the central file became corrupt and would not allow me to recover any of the central back-ups, but I also had locals that I could pull from!

Comment

What if my server is backed up daily? I'm just not sure I want to start using central files and worksets. I have enough stuff to still figure out in Revit without adding unnecessary (to me) stuff. :laugh:
                  Dan

Comment