Slab Edge On Sloped Slab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slab Edge On Sloped Slab

I did this on a project in 2011, but I have no clue how I did it. I don't think 2012 is any different, but...

Okay, I have a slab. I added some points and modified sub elements. The slab slopes 7" from front to back, as well as 1" from the sides to the center. It won't let me put a slab edge in. It won't even highlight the edge of the slab. It works fine on a flat slab.

Any ideas??

Oh, I also opened the 2011 file, deleted the edge and tried to recreate it and it won't let me. Is it a 2012 thing??

If slab edges aren't an option, how would you suggest modeling my perimeter beams?
    Dan

Place the slab edge first on a flat slab, then add the points.
    Cliff B. Collins
    Registered Architect
    The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
    Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

Originally posted by cliff collins View Post
      Place the slab edge first on a flat slab, then add the points.
      Please tell me you're joking! You know how long it took me to figure out the points! :banghead:

Actually, it shouldn't be too bad. But, that's a weird workflow, ain't it??
      Dan

Comment

Yep--sounds like a good Wishlist item. I'll check if it's already on there, if not I'll add it.
        Cliff B. Collins
        Registered Architect
        The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
        Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

And, of course, it works for every edge except one. :banghead:

When I slope the slab, the edge disappears.
          Dan

Comment

Deal with it!!! :hide: This is why I don’t use the support 90% of the time. It hasn’t been a problem yet to validate battling with it.
            -Alex Cunningham

Comment

WTF!!! Now, it's working sort of. But, the slab edge is no longer on the edge of the slab. It's above it by about 1/2". How can that be??
              Attached Files
              Dan

Comment

Okay, it seems the slab edge doesn't actually slope with the slab. It's level and cut by the slab. That's why it looks like the image above. I didn't notice this on my other project because I have a 6" slab, and the slope just happened to be 6", so it wasn't apparent.

Any way to remedy this? I thought of using a family on a RP, but then the edges would be square and not plumb. What a pain in the arse.
                Dan

Comment

My guess would be, that the slab edge is simply perpendicular to the edge, which is vertical, and the floor is sloped downwards, thus making the surface of the floor lower than the edge it self.

It would perhaps help to place the slab edge to the lower edge?
                  Last edited by KimArndt; January 23, 2012, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Good thought, but it didn't work. I'm thinking I'll have to make an in place sweep. I just hate using in place families.
                    Dan

Comment