Going from Revit Premium Suite back to RAC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going from Revit Premium Suite back to RAC

I going to upgrade to the Premium Suite this year. If I find that I am not using most of the programs enough to warrant the cost, and next year I decide to go back to only Revit Architecture, what happens to all the other programs, other than not getting newer versions? I could see there being a backward compalabilty issue with Revit, but what about 3DMax and Autocad.

Thanks

I believe you have to be on subscription to buy revit so versioning shouldn't be an issue. I think RAC also include an AutoCAD license. Check with your reseller - they will have all the details.

The Suite is worth the cost just for the online rendering capability, at least for us.
    Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
    BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Comment

RAC in BDS or not are the same application so which way you license it will have no impact on the files themselves. The impact will just be on your wallet.

Comment

If I understand you correctly you can't upgrade a component of the suite, it's all one license. If you can get your dealer to downgrade the suite license to just RAC then you no longer have the other programs
        Rick Moore, AIA
        Barnes Gromatzky Kosarek Architects

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Moore View Post
          If I understand you correctly you can't upgrade a component of the suite, it's all one license. If you can get your dealer to downgrade the suite license to just RAC then you no longer have the other programs
          Have not investigated this, but I'd think that he would still "have" the other programs (if at all possible to downgrade?) - he just won't be able to upgrade them... ?
          Klaus Munkholm
          "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Comment

RAC (alone) and RAC as part of BDS (single license validates several products) are different products from a sales/accounting perspective. That means changing your licensing from BDS to RAC standalone (or network) requires a sales transaction that may or may not involve cash. The software on your computer could still be installed but it won't find a valid license any longer once the BDS license isn't valid anymore. You'd probably have to install RAC again, or at the very least provide new credentials to register it with Autodesk.

As far as files are concerned, they won't care which version of Revit you end up opening with them, as long as they are the same release version (2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 etc).

Comment

Thanks Steve,

I just checked with my re-seller about this. Autodesk has set it up so that once the decision is made to go to the Suite there is no turning back without having to pay about $3,500 to go back to Revit Architecture. So I guess I better be real sure before making this move!

Originally posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
              RAC (alone) and RAC as part of BDS (single license validates several products) are different products from a sales/accounting perspective. That means changing your licensing from BDS to RAC standalone (or network) requires a sales transaction that may or may not involve cash. The software on your computer could still be installed but it won't find a valid license any longer once the BDS license isn't valid anymore. You'd probably have to install RAC again, or at the very least provide new credentials to register it with Autodesk.

As far as files are concerned, they won't care which version of Revit you end up opening with them, as long as they are the same release version (2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 etc).

Comment

Well that sounds about right eh? Pay more for less...like fat free, sugar free, cholesterol free..."Suite Free". Seems like "punishing" the customer for buying/needing less, in subscription terms.

Comment