High End Cabinet Families

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mdradvies View Post
    So, for the post of the month: how do you accomplish this? I have seen this before (sometimes there is a pull tab, sometimes there isn't) but never figured out how you prevent this from happening.
    If the reference planes are set to "is a reference," and have instance parameters, there will be pull tabs. If the reference plane is set to NOT a reference, however, it wont get pull tabs in the project. If you still want the capability to snap to it and whatnot... Put two reference planes on top of one another. One thats a reference, aligned to one that is not (constrained). Instance parameters, no pull tabs.
    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
      If the reference planes are set to "is a reference," and have instance parameters, there will be pull tabs. If the reference plane is set to NOT a reference, however, it wont get pull tabs in the project. If you still want the capability to snap to it and whatnot... Put two reference planes on top of one another. One thats a reference, aligned to one that is not (constrained). Instance parameters, no pull tabs.
      Aaron, once again you have excelled, two reference planes !!!!! How on earth do you know all these tricks and retain them in your brain. When I come 'back" I want to come back as "you"
      Mark Balsom

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Comment

i tought him everything he knows, the problem is i fergot it all after teaching him. he is briliant though. I bet he is a Autodesk programer on the side.
        -Alex Cunningham

Comment

LOL. I am not and have never been affiliated with the wonderful folks at Autodesk (they really are great). I learned the way we all learn, i suppose. I got in to my first Revit project, and proceded to really screw it up. Day 2, i was like "there has to be a better way than this..." (i was trying to update an "object" (in place family) that i had copied 200 times in a project. Then i found AUGI. Then i found families. Then i started toiling.)

Thats why i love being here to help now. I learned from people helping.
          Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation

Comment

BTW... i still use the "two overlapped reference planes" as my solution, but Steve Stafford pointed out in his blog recently that you can now do it with a single reference plane, since the rules for reference planes seemed to have changed at some point in the near history.

Strong reference planes = Align tool will stretch it and it has shape handles
            Weak reference planes = Align tool will MOVE it... but it has shape handles still
            Not a reference- planes = Neither.

So you may not need the double, depending on your propensity for wanting things alterable... Which i dont.

Comment

BTW... i still use the "two overlapped reference planes" as my solution, but Steve Stafford pointed out in his blog recently that you can now do it with a single reference plane, since the rules for reference planes seemed to have changed at some point in the near history.

Weak reference planes = Align tool will MOVE it... but it has shape handles still

So you may not need the double, depending on your propensity for wanting things alterable... Which i dont.
              we bow to you, oh Master, (and to SS also). This input is like GOLD in the bank so :thumbsup: for the lessons in Revit magic

this is where I push the "Great Post" button
              Last edited by Dave Jones; February 2, 2011, 04:39 AM. Reason: where's the freakin' button
              I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Jones View Post
                ...this is where I push the "Great Post" button
                Remember that you can "Rate" a thread...
                (Top of the page... "Rate this thread")
                Klaus Munkholm
                "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Comment

Aaron, thanks! Never thought about the two refplanes on top of each other!
                  I would rep you but I've done that too many times in the past so it won't let me (so if anyone else would do this for me, thanks)
                  Martijn de Riet
                  Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
                  MdR Advies
                  Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Originally posted by mdradvies View Post
                    Aaron, thanks! Never thought about the two refplanes on top of each other!
                    I would rep you but I've done that too many times in the past so it won't let me (so if anyone else would do this for me, thanks)
                    Consider it done!!
                    Mark Balsom

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Comment

Agreed with others. This, along with your previous explanation for doubling reference planes is wonderful. Your hard work is making me look good at my job!

EDIT: So, in review, given the explanation of weak/strong ref planes above - that still all requires instance parameters for it to move/stretch/etc., right? If these planes are constrained using type parameters we wouldn't see the shape handles...?
                      Last edited by Chadwick17; February 2, 2011, 04:14 PM. Reason: Additional Questions
                      Chad Koscinski | Architect

Comment