Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Display one floor level at a time in 3D view

Guys,

How would I change my 3D view so that it only displayed one level?

I'm finding it tougher the further I go on my project to 'see' inside the structure, it's getting cluttered. Being able to view all building elements on any particular floor would be very helpful.

Would I do this by using a filter? If so, how do I go about creating it?

Thanks

In your 3D view, right click on the View Cube and choose Align to View>Floor Plans and choose the plan you want to see. This will establish a Section box cutting the model, and roll you into a plan (top) view. From there you can spin the model around again, with the Section Box still applied. Works with Sections too!

Gordon
    Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

Oh that is truely beautiful, what a great feature thanks heaps Gordon. How do I now get it back to the original view where it shows the entire model?

Comment

Jason, you can change the view back by looking for Section Box in the Properties of the view. Just toggle it off and you are back to the full view. However, a good thing to get used to is the idea of "Working" views. Rather than changing one view constantly to make it more useful, just take the time to make a separate Section Boxed 3D view for each floor, and keep them around to use as needed. Naming them so they group together ("3D Plan -1", "3D plan -2", etc) makes it easier to deal with a large number of views.
        Also, if you need to adjust where the "cut" happens, you can go to the Visibility Graphics for the view, and under Annotation turn on the Section Box visibility. Now you can select it and (carefully ) grab the blue arrows to stretch the cut around. you can even select the Section Box and switch to another view to adjust it, if being in an elevation or plan makes the adjustment easier. then back to VG to turn the box visibility back off.

Best,
        Gordon
        Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

Excellent advice ..... cheers again Gordon, I'll be sure to follow it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Price View Post
            Jason, you can change the view back by looking for Section Box in the Properties of the view. Just toggle it off and you are back to the full view. However, a good thing to get used to is the idea of "Working" views. Rather than changing one view constantly to make it more useful, just take the time to make a separate Section Boxed 3D view for each floor, and keep them around to use as needed. Naming them so they group together ("3D Plan -1", "3D plan -2", etc) makes it easier to deal with a large number of views.
            I have my view browser set up with a custom paramater to sort by view use - _Working (the _ sorts it at the top), Plan, RCP etc. It might be beneficial if you are creating a lot of 3D plans to set something up in a similar fashion. Once you create your plan, just assign it a name and it will automatically sort for you. Any view without a use applied will fall under a ??? heading

Working views is also a great tip and something I'm not using quite as much as I should. This will allow you to have everything you could imagine turned on in a view without messing up your specific views for Dimensions, Reference Tags etc.
            Attached Files
            Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
            BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Comment

I do the exact same thing with sub discipline. That way, my PB is categorized by Arch, M, E, P, Structural. It sure makes it easier to find thing.

I know you can do it by discipline, but when I make a floor plan an electrical plan (for example) the project lags horribly. Put it back to architectural, and it's fine. So, I made a sub discipline. Not sure if it still happens, though.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by dzatto; December 29, 2011, 10:47 PM.
              Dan

Comment

Is there a way to incorporate scope boxes? I'd like to dice it up by level and also area.

Comment

Not exactly, but there is a workaround.
                  Here's a thread from a few months ago where I suggested the same thing.
                  http://www.revitforum.org/architectu...ope-boxes.html
                  Dave Plumb
                  BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment