Exterior Wall Exposed Floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exterior Wall Exposed Floor

I am currently modeling a 2-Story Home. I have everything modeled the way I want it, but when I go to the elevations I see a gap where the siding and the sheathing don't touch between floors.
    ELEV_EXP FJS.PNG
    My exterior walls:
    Core: 3 1/2" stud + 1/2" Sheathing
    Exterior: Air Barrier + 3/4" Siding
    Interior: 1/2" Gyp Bd

My floors: Main:
    Core: 3/4" Sub-Floor + 11 7/8" TJI + 1 1/2" Rim-Joist

My Floors: Second
    Core: 3/4" Sub-Floor + 11 7/8" TJI

The floors are modeled to the stud to allow sheathing and siding to extend. I knew of this situation beforehand because tutorials on the interwebs say this is the way to combat your problem:

I go into the my exterior wall, select edit type, edit structure, (set preview to section) select siding, and then zoom in on the bottom of the wall in the section preview. The bottom of the siding highlights and a "unlock" toggle appears. I unlock it. I do the same to the sheathing.

Then I go to my elevations, cut a section, and zoom in to extend the sheathing and siding...

Side Bar: Why don't the two extend independently? They should.

To the top of wall below.

I'm golden! At least I thought.
    ELEV_EXP FJS GONE.PNG

The wall joins are all JACKED now!
    FLR_WALL JOINS JACKED.PNG

So I go back into edit the wall type. Lock the sheathing and siding ends (just like I did above). And the wall joins are back to normal!
    BUT

The floor is back to exposed.

Proposed Work Around:
    1. Create a stacked exterior wall for the Main Floor: Edit my existing exterior wall and add a 1 1/2" Stud (will represent the Rim-Joist in section) + 1/2" Sheathing + 3/4" Siding. Create and Exterior 1 1/2" + 1/2" Sheathing + 3/4" Siding to infill walls below Second Floor where I don't have Main Floor wall stacked.
    2. Seperate and create just a 3/4" Sub-Floor. This way I will be able to extend the sub-floor seperatly under the stud walls in sections.

What do you think? I want you to comment on the Proposed Work Around, will it work? What is your experience, what works better?

The problem is you are drawinig 2 separate walls, one for each level. Just draw one wall and extend it up to the roof level. When you sketch your floor and finish the sketch, it will ask you if you want to cut it from the walls, click yes.

Since your floors will be existing, just use the cut tool and cut the floor from the exterior walls in a section view. That should fix the problem.

Just FYI, the wall joins are jacked because some of the walls have the offset, and some don't. If they all have the same unlocked layers with the same offset, they will clean up.

Sidebar: No, when you unlock layers, they don't move independently. What you unlock moves by whatever offset you give it. All as one unit.
    Last edited by dzatto; November 13, 2011, 02:40 AM.
    Dan

Comment

DO NOT unlock layers, nor draw the wall in one piece (Dave, a wall on the first floor is more expensive then on ground floor. For this reason, in Holland, most contractors will draw them separately).

Unlocking layers and stretching them is, imho, a feature that should be stripped out of Revit instantly. I want a "nuke this command" button, just for this (and Explode dwg off course :laugh. Seriously, this always gives me headaches afterwards.

The solution is quite simple:
      - Model the ground floor wall to first floor level. Do not attach to the floor (this is probably what's going wrong). In this scenario, select it and use Detach all to clear it again. Now simply use the Cut Geometry to cut away the part of the wall overlapping the floor.
      Martijn de Riet
      Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
      MdR Advies
      Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Why would a wall on the first floor be more expensive if it's the same wall construction? You Dutch people and your crazy rules... :laugh:

I'm assuming you were talking to me, but my name is Dan. :hide:
        Dan

Comment

Sorry, still bit wobbly from a passing flue...
          But it's more expensive based on some simple principles: when you need to build scaffolding and move a brick up 3m it costs money.
          Martijn de Riet
          MdR Advies

Comment

Originally posted by mdradvies View Post
            The solution is quite simple:
            - Model the ground floor wall to first floor level. Do not attach to the floor (this is probably what's going wrong). In this scenario, select it and use Detach all to clear it again. Now simply use the Cut Geometry to cut away the part of the wall overlapping the floor.
            I didn't think of that. I might try it. However I like my solution better. It is not perfect, I am sure I will find out later, but I went individual wall routes and joined it to the wall below.

So, the thought is that I place my Main floor wall to under side of floor joist.

SIDE BAR: My floors are now two elements too. (1) 3/4" sub-floor that extends to the exterior sheathing of the exterior wall. (2) Joist that's boundary is set 1 1/2" away for the exterior sheathing of the wall. (note: I dimension my exterior walls from inside of stud to outside of sheathing.)

Then I made a second exterior wall, based off the Main Floor, that is only 1 1/2" with 1/2" sheathing and siding. This wall goes on top of the exterior main wall I just placed and only spans the depth of my floor joist. Then when I cut a section. I join the 1 1/2" exterior walls to the Main. I bring the 1 1/2" down from the sub-floor and extend the sheathing and siding up to Upper exterior walls (I unlocked each piece of material in the edit wall type, like before). Now that 1 1/2" looks like it represents the rim joist. And at the exterior, you don't notice unless you hover over the walls.

So ya, not perfect. I am running with it for now.

Thoughts?

Comment

DO NOT unlock layers, nor draw the wall in one piece (Dave, a wall on the first floor is more expensive then on ground floor. For this reason, in Holland, most contractors will draw them separately).Unlocking layers and stretching them is, imho, a feature that should be stripped out of Revit instantly. I want a "nuke this command" button, just for this (and Explode dwg off course :laugh. Seriously, this always gives me headaches afterwards.The solution is quite simple: - Model the ground floor wall to first floor level. Do not attach to the floor (this is probably what's going wrong). In this scenario, select it and use Detach all to clear it again. Now simply use the Cut Geometry to cut away the part of the wall overlapping the floor.
              since Revit is construction simulation, this is definitely the way to go, especially in higher levels of detail (LOD) and for Quantity Surveying. regarding the Unlocking Layers, there now is the Create Parts command,that, in a way, also unlocks layers.out of topic, though. I haven't explored that Command thoroughly, once you Create Parts for a Wall, how do you revert it to the original wall?
              “You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.”
              -Anonymous

Comment

Unlocking layers and stretching them is, imho, a feature that should be stripped out of Revit instantly. I want a "nuke this command" button, just for this (and Explode dwg off course :laugh. Seriously, this always gives me headaches afterwards.
                One person's trash is another's treasure.

Don't you DARE nuke the Unlock Layers feature.
                That feature has helped us coordinate with our Structural Engineer better than any other in Revit.
                We (Architectural) draw our walls above ground. Structural draws the foundation walls.
                Then we use the Unlocked brick Layers to indicate where they need to notch out their foundation for the Brick Ledge.
                We haven't had a problem with Brick Ledges in the field since we started using this.

Now, Explode dwg - I'm with you!
                Attached Files
                Dave Plumb
                BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

Sorry, still bit wobbly from a passing flue...
                  Do they have mobile chimney's over there? Odd place. Someone must have burning some pretty strong stuff to make you wobbly.
                  Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

Comment

Originally posted by oj manlapaz View Post
                    since Revit is construction simulation, this is definitely the way to go, especially in higher levels of detail (LOD) and for Quantity Surveying. regarding the Unlocking Layers, there now is the Create Parts command,that, in a way, also unlocks layers.out of topic, though. I haven't explored that Command thoroughly, once you Create Parts for a Wall, how do you revert it to the original wall?
                    You don't, it's still there. You can set your View to which you want to see. Don't like this for this particular problem though. When scheduling, you'd need a Parts schedule for some walls and a wall schedule for the others (which are not "partsilized")

Originally posted by DaveP View Post
                    One person's trash is another's treasure.

Don't you DARE nuke the Unlock Layers feature.
                    That feature has helped us coordinate with our Structural Engineer better than any other in Revit.
                    We (Architectural) draw our walls above ground. Structural draws the foundation walls.
                    Then we use the Unlocked brick Layers to indicate where they need to notch out their foundation for the Brick Ledge.
                    We haven't had a problem with Brick Ledges in the field since we started using this.

Now, Explode dwg - I'm with you!
                    Ever thought about adding a Reveal to the inside bottom of the wall?

Originally posted by MPwuzhere View Post
                    Do they have mobile chimney's over there? Odd place. Someone must have burning some pretty strong stuff to make you wobbly.
                    Dude, for someone with that avatar... I'm offended. We only have the strong stuff here.
                    Martijn de Riet
                    MdR Advies

Comment