Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curved wall opening / faced based family opening to curved wall

Dear Forum

This is a tricky one to explain, but I am looking to create horizontal strip openings into a curved wall using a family that can 1) create the opening into the wall and 2) create a face profile to match the curve of the wall. The reality is to create a curved corian wall with a slot cut for an LED strip to form into. (Please see my first attempt attached image no.1).
    In my first attempt I have managed to create a face based family that can form the opening only. When I create the solid strip (the LED strip) this does not form itself to the curved wall. (Please see image no.2). Is this possible? The reason you can see a white outside surface and yellow surface behind is I have applied a wall to the internal and external faces of the concept mass surface.

If this is not possible, can anyone offer any ideas with a workaround?

My initial ideas:

1) Instead of applying a wall to the face of the concept mass in the project environment, can I form an in-place sweep wall to the concept mass model made (see pic no.3), as it only curves in plan, and then create a family that will maybe work with this in-place geometry rather than the system family wall?

2) Would a more manual approach work instead of trying to create a faced based family? So model each strip as a swept void and solid profile? The only issue is the concept mass form is created from splines, so when I come to model based on these splines to create shorter sections of geometry you come across the issue of not being able to trim the splines taken from the concept mass.

Sorry for the very long post, I hope someone has been in a similar position before and can offer some thoughts?

Many thanks!

Best Regards
    Tim
    no. 1 - curved wall family opening.jpgno. 2 - faced based strip.jpgno. 3 - concept mass.jpg

maybe this post of mine can help you on creating sweep in place family on curve path.
    http://www.revitforum.org/architectu...urvy-path.html
    the main idea for solving this is to create sweep using sketch path-- pick 3d edge.(there is video attached also done by gaby on my link).
    i hope also other members can suggest something for this complex shape if they can provide better quick trick.
    Last edited by ahmed_hassan; November 10, 2011, 06:48 PM. Reason: adding

Comment

I would use embeded walls for this, small pieces you copy around and embed. A little tedius. But maybe easier than the family. If you can make the family work that would be awesome.
      Scott D. Brown, AIA | Senior Project Manager | Beck Group

Comment

I'd loose the splines, and use lots of arcs instead. And is it really a wall? Do you need it to schedule as a wall? IMO it looks more like a piece of equipment, why I would probably just model it as a family, and call it a day.

If you really need it to be a wall, still loose the splines, and use lots of arcs instead. Knowing the radius at the various places, would make it possible to make a facebased family with a parametric radius which you could (manually) change to fit each segment.
        Klaus Munkholm
        "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Comment

Thank you very much Ahmed, sdbrownaia and Munkolm! I will look into each of these suggestions now. Ahmed, my first reaction to this is I have set the model up using splines so when I pick the edge to use it will pick the entire spline, and then I cannot trim to make smaller sections. I think Munkolm is right that I should do away with splines and use smaller sections of arcs to create the form, and also not use walls - there is no reason to use them. sdbrownaia, I will test your proposal but I am thinking walls might be harder work than using in-place geometry.

Many thanks again!
          Regards
          Tim

Comment

Tim, just to clarify... I wasn't talking about in-place geometry, but rather a loadable family...
            Klaus Munkholm
            "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Comment