2012 Joining walls will not let me dimension to joined face

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2012 Joining walls will not let me dimension to joined face

When you draw two seperate walls back to back with each other, put a window in one and the opening only goes through the host... Okay I got that part. So I join them so the opening in the window goes through both walls. Now after joining them I can't dimension to the plane or surface where they are "joined" at.

I even tried this in an OOTB Revit template thinking that it might have something to do with my drawing but I got the same result. :banghead::banghead:

Anyone know if there is a way around this besides drawing a detail line at that plane so that I can dimension to it or is it just a Revit bug??

Thanks.
    Joshua Kohl

Eastern Exterior Wall Systems, Inc
    www.eews.com

This works for me:
    Draw you dimension to whatever edge works. Then, click on the blue circle (the one next to the tick mark). That will cycle the dimension string through all the available edges. One of them will be the "center" of the joined wall.
    Dan

Comment

That doesn't work for me and if it would my walls are different thicknesses so the "center of the joined wall" is not the face that I need to dimension to. I keep tabbing away and I can't get it to select that plane.

Here is a suggested fix from Dimitri Harvalias on an AUGI post:

"Agree it's a problem but the fix appears to be pretty simple. Place your dimension before you join geometry or just do a quick unjoin, place your dimension then rejoin. The dimension stays in place."
      Joshua Kohl
      Last edited by Joshua Kohl; November 8, 2011, 12:51 PM.
      Joshua Kohl

www.eews.com

Comment

Hover-tabbing to different locations works for me in this situation
        Rick Moore, AIA
        Barnes Gromatzky Kosarek Architects

Comment

Hover & Tab gets me everything except the joined plane...

See attached sample file.

Dimensioning before joining or the unjoin/then dimension/ then re-join works for me...
          Joshua Kohl

www.eews.com

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Kohl View Post
            That doesn't work for me and if it would my walls are different thicknesses so the "center of the joined wall" is not the face that I need to dimension to. I keep tabbing away and I can't get it to select that plane.

Here is a suggested fix from Dimitri Harvalias on an AUGI post:

"Agree it's a problem but the fix appears to be pretty simple. Place your dimension before you join geometry or just do a quick unjoin, place your dimension then rejoin. The dimension stays in place."
            When I said "center of joined walls", I was assuming the walls were the same thickness. When I do it, it picks the joined plane regardless of wall thickness. I don't know why it's not working for you. I've just done it several times, and it works every time.

I just did it on your wall that you posted. One click and it moves to the correct plane.
            Attached Files
            dzatto
            "OMG I killed Revit"
            Last edited by dzatto; November 8, 2011, 02:59 PM.
            Dan

Comment