Walls - Masonry offset to a brick ledge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walls - Masonry offset to a brick ledge

What is the correct way set up an exterior wall so the masonry finish starts 4" below the slab on a brick ledge? I have currently hacked it with a -4" offset on the wall but that places the stud framing 4" below the slab as well... I've poked around in the wall settings but I'm apparently missing something.

In general it doesn't bother me but the boss is insistent that the elevation show the masonry with the 4" offset showing a half-block as the first course above grade.

Thanks
    Attached Files
    Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
    BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Edit the wall type. Then, edit the wall structure. Make sure the view is set to section (there's a button on the bottom left). Once you are in section, the modify, merger regions, sweeps, assign layers, split regions, and reveals buttons will be active.

In the section preview, zoom into the bottom of the wall. Select the modify button. You can then select the bottom line of each layer (in this case the brick). You will see a lock. Click on it to unlock it.

Okay all the way out. Now, select your wall and set the Base Extension Distance in the properties palette to -4".
    Last edited by dzatto; November 4, 2011, 05:21 PM. Reason: forgot to hit the modify button
    Dan

Comment

You could edit the Wall Type and unlock that layer so you can manually pull it down. It's been discussed before with instructions better than I could offer now. Do a search and you're bound to come up with the solution.
      Greg McDowell Jr
      about.me/GMcDowellJr

Comment

See the attached... :beer:
        Attached Files
        Klaus Munkholm
        "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Comment

Yeah, I was too lazy to do screen shots. :laugh:
          Dan

Comment

And I was too lazy to type it out in a foreign language - But 3 replies in 2 minutes... :thumbsup:
            Klaus Munkholm
            "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Comment

Take a look at the video in post #6.
              http://www.revitforum.org/structure-...hed-floor.html

Comment

oooh. I was half way there. I saw the unlock on the layer but couldn't figure out how to adjust it.

Thanks
                Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
                BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Comment

Honestly: HATE that solution... They can throw it out on my part. Why? Well, it's type driven for one thing. So you'll need to worry about it even if it's not applicable in other sitations...

IMHO, the correct answer should be one of these:
                  1. (easiest) Like shown in your detail, only join the wall with your floor. Assuming that your layers are set correctly and the order of selection when using the jointool is correct the 4" stud portion get's cut by the floor and you're done.
                  2. To hack the surface pattern: go to elevation, dimension the lowest horizontal line to level 0, select the line (by using tab). The dimension value now is editable, you can set it to half a block (and constrain it if you want)
                  Martijn de Riet
                  Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
                  MdR Advies
                  Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Originally posted by mdradvies View Post
                    1. (easiest) Like shown in your detail, only join the wall with your floor. Assuming that your layers are set correctly and the order of selection when using the jointool is correct the 4" stud portion get's cut by the floor and you're done.
                    Actually, that's how it's done on that video (post #6) - pretty neat and sure the easiest :thumbsup:. I like that option a lot.

Comment