Demolished walls obscuring new walls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Demolished walls obscuring new walls

In a coarse display plan view, my filled New walls are obscured when they cross the path of a Demolished wall - if the demolished wall was created first. How can this be resolved?

In our plan views we want to see the Existing, the New and the Demolished so my Phase Filter is set to Show All.
    Our Phasing Graphic Override has been set to hide the Demolished Cut Pattern so we just see dotted lines to indicate demolished walls.

display order.JPG

If my existing walls are created after the new walls then they display correctly.

All the demolished walls obscure the floor pattern, which I don't want.

With Visual Sytle set to Shaded we get the full red demolished walls, which I don't want.

I've tried using VG and playing with the Phasing Graphic Overrides including setting the Demolished Material to Glass without luck.

Can anyone suggest how to make the cut view of a demolished wall show transparent? Or are there any other options please?

Thanks in advance.

Anthony.

This is a weird behaviour of solid fills. If your new walls didn't have solid fills and just had a hatch the problem wouldn't exist. But clearly you do want a solid fill. Interestingly the solution that works is to select your demolished walls and to override their graphics to be "transparent".

This is a dodgy solution and not something I would typically recommend as it involved manual work each time to apply it when new elements are added. Unfortunately "Phases" aren't available in Filters otherwise I would simply suggest you create a Filter that identifies a particular element on a phase and set its to be transparent at the filter level...
    Chris Price
    Co Founder | BIM Manager | Product Designer | B.Arch (QUT)
    Xrev Revit API Add-ins | Revit Rants

Comment

Thank you, Chris.
      That will do for today. Not a BIM fix as you say, but good for now.
      Thanks again.
      Anthony.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Spot View Post
        Unfortunately "Phases" aren't available in Filters otherwise I would simply suggest you create a Filter that identifies a particular element on a phase and set its to be transparent at the filter level...
        Yes, you can
        W
        ell, it's hack too but more controlled and less work...
        Martijn de Riet
        Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
        MdR Advies
        Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Thank you, Martijn.

I have checked it out and can see that it works well. I extended it to cover other Categories as well. Both methods have their advantages, but appears both methods require the demolished elements to be selected and have their Properties or Display modified.

Curiously, an object selected will have its newly created display property shown as ghosted and checked when in fact the property is actually cleared.
          DemolitionObjectsDisplay.JPG

I note that in a coloured floor plan my dashed elements appear above a floor that has had a colour or pattern applied to it - this is good.
          However, in our coloured Area Plans the colour coding obscures the demolished objects because we have set them to be transparent.

coloured are plans.JPG

Is this a work plane issue? Can I get my red dotted lines back please?

Thanks in advance.

Anthony.

Comment

Did you see the part 2 and 3 of the blog too? This deals with multiple selection (by schedule) and also on how to deal with the <null>-value. It's a weird third option for Yes/No-parameters which you can use as a blank...

Before desperately trying to get your lines back, check to see if they print ok... Can be a screen-thing. Which I don't have a solution for, but I have the same problem all the time with Room/Area color fills. You can solve it (in your workview) by setting them to transparent. With me, it doesn't affect the plotting though, even in Opaque filling, where I don't see the lines on screen, they still show up in the plot.
            Martijn de Riet
            MdR Advies

Comment

No I had not seen parts 2 and 3. Thank you for that information - there is a lot you can do with schedules.

As for the disappearing lines. It is not a plotting issue - they appear in PDF as they do on screen.

Originally posted by mdradvies View Post
              ...You can solve it (in your workview) by setting them to transparent.
              Not sure what you mean by transparent here. My walls and furniture are already overridden to transparent which is causing the problem in the Area plan view.
              If I change their override to Ghost Surfaces rather than Transparent this solves the problem - provided the walls and elements are within the bounding area on the new work. If they are out in the new yard then they appear filled again.

demo - outside new bldg.JPG

If I create a fake area enclosing the entire building and make it white, this will solve it...

demo - faked area.JPG

But then my Area schedule will need tweaking to remove the fake one.

Comment

What if you set the view to wireframe (probably will need to tweak the view range settings though)
                Martijn de Riet
                MdR Advies

Comment

No, that did not work: any fixtures and fittings become see through too.
                  I think we have enough to move ahead with for now and a few options to consider. Thank you very much for your help again.
                  Anthony.

Comment