Text in filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Text in filters

Is there a way to pick up text in filters? Ie is there a way of giving text a parameter which can be picked up in a filter? I need to be able to control the text visibility through view templates. chrs

You can manually use the 'Save Selection' feature to do this:
    What Revit Wants: Save Selection Workaround for Revit Architecture users
    Luke Johnson | Autodesk Expert Elite Member
    Author of What Revit Wants

Comment

So are you suggesting I need revit structure to 'save selection' and then open in revit architecture?

Comment

Originally posted by redmonki View Post
        So are you suggesting I need revit structure to 'save selection' and then open in revit architecture?
        It is one solution to your problem. You can download Revit Structure trial from http://revit.downloads.autodesk.com/...n_32-64bit.exe

Otherwise, you could look at containing your text in a Detail Component family and using standard parameters and view filters. This could get messy pretty quickly.
        Luke Johnson | Autodesk Expert Elite Member
        Author of What Revit Wants

Comment

Ok, this is quite an oversight of revit, being able to control text vis through filters should be standard. As you stated in your blog the 'save selection' should be at least available to subscription users. I guess the proper proceedure is having different plans with their own text. I did do this but its just not desirable in many circumstances. I hope this gets addressed in future versions of revit. Thanks for you input.

Comment

Originally posted by redmonki View Post
            Is there a way to pick up text in filters? Ie is there a way of giving text a parameter which can be picked up in a filter? I need to be able to control the text visibility through view templates. chrs
            Could you elaborate some more? Post some pics?
            Martijn de Riet
            Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
            MdR Advies
            Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Its actuallly quite a general question. I understand you can give objects, ie doors, windows, walls a yes/no parameter which enables you to 'pick them up' in a view template filter, ie turn off, on, half-tone. It seems this is not possible with text or detail objects and I wonder why this is so. I would have thought text was a very likely element to be controlled in this manner. Does that make sense? One of the reasons I need to do this is because I have fire safety dwgs, sanitary dwgs etc and the way I have been controlling sheets is through view templates rather than having a whole new sheet for each discipline. I find it a lot easy to control dwgs this way. But I'm running up against the limitation of this but not being able to control text through my view templates.

Comment

It's a little bit of overkill, but Design Options might work.
                You can add Model text to a Design Option. Not Detail Text, though.
                Dave Plumb
                BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

Redmonki,
                  It sounds like you are trying to use a View like an Xref, and reuse the same view for multiple sheets?
                  The basic approach in Revit is make every sheet, and every sheet gets its own view. Make that view look right and leave it that way. If you need to change how a view looks to facilitate working, you make a discreet working view, rather than changing the look of the
                  This is radically different from AutoCAD, where you try to reuse everything you can, and make it look right through layer manipulation. With Revit you just make another view. That is why text isn't controlled via view templates, because the text isn't getting "reused" like the model is. If you want the text gone, you delete it. If you want it screened you use a different Type. Once you get used to it it makes a ton more tense, because the "sheets" are ALL always ready to print, no manipulation needed.

Gordon
                  Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

Yes I understand this key difference but there is always detail work (lines, hatches, masks, text) which occur during project development. If I was to have different sheets then I would need to repeat the detail work or copy paste etc, this is where is got stuck before as it opens up room (lots) mistakes. I am working in Singapore where there are multitudes or authorities to submit to while I am submiting to contractors. I need the efficiency of having 1 sheet fits all and I have this pretty much sorted except for the text. I will find way around I'm sure.
                    Thx for feeback.

Comment