Editing the Revit.ini...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Editing the Revit.ini...

I've been resetting the revit.ini files on workstations where people have adjusted their username from the default* & when doing so decided to take a closer look at the rest of the file for the first time...

*(we're doing a lot of deskswapping at the moment and I'm telling people they're not fiddle with the username anymore)

Noting the custom colour defintions, I set my own to be our company on-brand colours (logo colour(s), sky, horizon, ground, flora, etc) and was pleased to see them there on loading up Revit... and this got me thinking; if I were to adjust everyone's .ini files to have the same colours (by default) that'd save a lot of time spent punching in RGB's.

This then had me questioning what else could I do? File/folder locations are an obvious one - but what else do you guys tinker with?

...then this had me thinking about how I'd do this.

Since we're small enough I could run around in half an hour and do it manually, but what if I wanted to automate it? I could have IT write the .ini anew at login... but then I thought "What of people's preferences?" I mean - what if someone has tweaked their selection colour, viewcube sizes, etc.... they're well entitled to.... surely a scripted .ini replacement would scupper those settings and infuriate everyone? Or are there means (I know not of) that could replace only certain elements within an .ini (and leave others alone)?

It all comes down to me not wanting to the kind of person who tells left-handed people they're to use their right-hand when they don't want to - BUT - I would like to know things that should be company-consistent are exactly that.

Open to thoughts & suggestions. :thumbsup:

You might want to take a look at Harlan's Revit Clinic blog post:
    it explains a lot about where the INI file comes from, where it goes to, and how it gets updated.

For our purposes, besides the paths, I turn off the Recent Files screen (too many problems with Central files) and set the Temporary Dimension Text height to 12 (default 10 is too small for my bad eyes, so everybody gets it!)
    I also add a few of our standard folders to the Places bar, but they still don't sort out where I'd like them.
    Last edited by DaveP; November 3, 2011, 03:03 PM. Reason: um, yeah - changing from 10 to 10 didn't make much sense, did it?
    Dave Plumb
    BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

Cheers Dave - as I feared (when I saw the Revit Clinic url) there's plenty of brain-smashing reading to be had there. Something for in-work time methinks.

Comment

Here are a couple of links to the Revit wikihelp on the INI settings. Add your information if you have something not listed.

Configuring the Revit.ini File - WikiHelp

Revit.INI Customizations - WikiHelp
        Jeff Hanson
        Sr. Subject Matter Expert
        Autodesk, Revit - User Experience

Comment

That documentation may or may not tell you: You need to customize the inifile.xml, not the ini files themselves, depending on time of customization.
          Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
          @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Cheers Jeff, I'd got as far as the wiki page in your first link this afternoon, but got pulled away to tend to more pressing matters...

Aaron, .xml ? You're scaring me now.

I know this'll sound lazy, but before I go off on a reading-frenzy, it all comes down to the (key) question in my OP :
            Or are there means (I know not of) that could replace only certain elements within an .ini (and leave others alone)?
            Because if that is doable, then I'll go for it - if not (ie. it's global-or-nothing) then I may leave it alone. :hide:

Comment

Originally posted by snowyweston View Post
              Aaron, .xml ? You're scaring me now.
              If you are making changes as part of a deployment you need to make changes in an xml editor. If you are making changes after an install you can use a text editor to make the changes.
              Jeff Hanson
              Sr. Subject Matter Expert
              Autodesk, Revit - User Experience

Comment

No, no, no, no, no, no.

If you are making changes after the user logged in has launched revit for the first time, and certain fields in the Revit.ini file in the user directory are what they should be (such as the GUID install numbers), then you can make direct edits to the ini file. If you make edits and revit doesnt like certain lines that you change (Gordon can explain in more detail, since im not clear on which edits are good and bad, because i just edit the ini's globally instead of replacing the ones in the users directory) it will LITERALLY just erase your new INI file and rebuild a stock Revit one. It sucks.

If the deployment has INSTALLED Revit, and a particular USER hasnt launched it yet, you have to go to the INI file in the Program Files/UDC location, or you have to replace any and all, for the Prog Files and every users User directory that has an ini file in it.

If it HASNT installed Revit yet, editing the XML's is a heck of a lot easier than chasing it around to a bunch of machines, even though its a pain in the ass of epic proportions to edit a stupid XML file that we should have never had to edit, EVER in the history of forever. BUT, its still better than editing a crap ton of Revit.ini files or copying them around, now that theyre in the users directory.

But i guess if you dont mind doing it...
                Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
                @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Originally posted by DaveP View Post
                  ....set the Temporary Dimension Text height to 10 (default 10 is too small for my bad eyes, so everybody gets it!)....
                  Change to 10 even though 10 is default? :hide:
                  Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

Comment

My fingers don't work any better than my eyes! <face palm icon>
                    I up it to 12.
                    (Just so I don't embarrass myself even more, I'm going to go back & edit my post)
                    Dave Plumb
                    BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment