Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two machines: click Revit shortcut, INSTANT "unrecoverable error..." popup.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two machines: click Revit shortcut, INSTANT "unrecoverable error..." popup.

To be clear: NOT trying to open a file, just trying to launch Revit Architecture. Both machines just started having the problem this morning, which made me think Windows Updates, but we have 30 other identical machines that all got updates and are all fine. There is zero lag time: The unrecoverable error happens before the splash screen even comes up.

Weve installed WU2 to see if that fixes it, no dice. We deleted the C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Revit \Autodesk Revit Architecture 2012\ENU\Components\Inforcenter.xml file at Autodesks request, thinking it might be corrupted.

I dont believe its a hardware or driver issue, since RST and RME continue to run perfectly on both machines.

Anyone else encountered anything similar? Were going to blow away the install tomorrow and start fresh, but thought id check.
    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Aaron, have you verified that all the updates have in fact been pushed to all machines? Depending on how the updates are managed, there can be a lag before all machines are again identical. And maybe check graphic drivers too, to make absolutely sure they are all consistent? I am curious to see what the cause is, if you actually ever find it. Nasty stuff, that kind of problem.

Gordon
    Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

I can verify that at least twenty of the machines have had all of the updates pushed and are all identical, including pre-startup "configuration" stuff.

I would say graphics drivers, except its failing before the splash screen, for crying out loud. And RST isnt. Drivers arent all consistant on every machine, since there are some minor card variations, but neither rig is new. Theyve been in service in 2012 for quite some time.
      Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation

Comment

Whats the same between the two computers? Anything special about the 2 users?
        -Alex Cunningham

Comment

Very interesting. In a bad way. My temptation would be to fedex a box to Autodesk and say "You guys figure this @^#% out!"

Not likely, but I would be tempted to run an overnight burn in test just to make sure the RAM and hard drives have no problems at all. And perhaps have one of those users log in to another machine and see if they have the same problem. Assuming you have Roaming profiles. We had a user who's profile got corrupted and it caused all sorts of grief. Corrupt registry is bad, um kay.

Gordon
          Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Price View Post
            Very interesting. In a bad way. My temptation would be to fedex a box to Autodesk and say "You guys figure this @^#% out!"

Not likely, but I would be tempted to run an overnight burn in test just to make sure the RAM and hard drives have no problems at all. And perhaps have one of those users log in to another machine and see if they have the same problem. Assuming you have Roaming profiles. We had a user who's profile got corrupted and it caused all sorts of grief. Corrupt registry is bad, um kay.

Gordon
            You may have hit the nail on the head. I didnt try *their* profile elsewhere, as they arent in yet. But i tried logging in as me, on those machines, and it launches fine. Windows update toasted their profiles, maybe... LOL. Thanks for the suggestion, man.

Comment

Dang it.
              Gordon beat me to it.
              I was going to suggest trying a different user on the same troubled machine.
              You might be able to nuke their UIState file:
              C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Revit \Autodesk Revit Architecture 2012\UIState.dat
              Obviously they'll lose their screen configuration, but that gets lost half the time anyway!
              Then there's WSCommCntr,
              C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\WSCommCntr3\lib\WSCommCntr3.exe
              but that would be more of a universal failure.
              Dave Plumb
              BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment