How to mask section heads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to mask section heads?

How can I create a masking layer behind my section head callout tags? I've been able to make one behind my detail callouts, but I can't get the section head callouts to work.

I tried creating a masking region but it also overlaps the dividing line between the detail number and the sheet number. I also tried creating two semicircle masking regions; this shows the dividing line but then the masking regions won't rotate when my section is cut through an opposite view direction.

section head.jpg

I've attached a screenshot and our tag family, any help would be much appreciated!!!!!

SCA Section Head - Filled.rfa

I tried this too a few months back with the same exact issues you're having. Would be nice to have a solution...

Comment

This is a well-known issue with section heads. The only option you've got is to replace the line with a text object consisting entirely of underscores (_). That way it rotates with the text, and isn't masked by the masking region.

Personally, I don't think it's worth the effort. Just drag the section head out of the way, or make the text objects in the head masking, rather than transparent.

Arcturis
      BIM Manager
      Associate Architect

Comment

Change the font in the section head to Opaque instead of Transparent.
        Cliff B. Collins
        Registered Architect
        The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
        Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

The underscore trick takes less than two minutes to set up, and works perfectly. Did it at my old office. Set it and forget it.
          Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
          @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
            The underscore trick takes less than two minutes to set up, and works perfectly. Did it at my old office. Set it and forget it.
            I did this back when I first saw the trick posted by you on that other forum I think, and it's been a fine solution. Haven't had to fiddle with it since. Tnx btw!
            I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

Comment

It is possible to have masking regions in a section head that do not block out the dividing line without using the underscore trick (which by the way is a genious :thumbsup: idea).

Seeing that most firms have different section head types for different purposes (i.e. wall sections, building sections, etc) all you need to do is have two types within that particular section head family, using visibilities to control which masking regions are shown for which section.

In the project template you have one type for vertical (wall) sections and one type for horizontal (plan) sections using that section head family.

See attached family and sample project for reference. Please let me know what you guys think?
              Joshua Kohl

Eastern Exterior Wall Systems, Inc
              www.eews.com

Comment

Welcome to the forum Joshua.

Originally posted by Joshua
                Please let me know what you guys think?
                Oh, different types... let me try...

But, then, you need to remember to be changing types, depending on the situation?
                I think I prefer the underscore trick, because I don't need to remember anything...
                Last edited by Alfredo Medina; November 2, 2011, 02:33 PM.
                Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

Comment

Not to mention not all Sections cut by Plans go left to right. Why deal with two types when you dont have to? Either way, its a stupid problem. We shouldnt have to hack it up.
                  Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
                  @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

I agree, we shouldn't have to use work arounds for something that seems so simple.

Let me clarify, I was reading my post over and I think my explanation was a bit generic. I showed both the good and the bad about using two masking regions, my fault :banghead:. I should of cleaned up the .rvt file better and shown only the true results before posting, sorry :banghead:.

A plan detail being cut left or right won't affect the masking regions and a wall section being cut top to bottom or bottom to top shouldn't affect them either.

One type for sections and one type for plan details.
                    Either that or you have one section type for everything and you have to rotate the section mark after you place it to achieve a plan detail.

I have attached an updated .rvt for reference.

Edit: But I will have to say that this won't work once you go non-orthagonal...I guess I got my hopes up to soon...They really need to fix this!!!
                    Last edited by Joshua Kohl; November 2, 2011, 03:28 PM. Reason: Added a note about non-orthagonal
                    Joshua Kohl

Eastern Exterior Wall Systems, Inc
                    www.eews.com

Comment